Thread: Find Now

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Find Now

I've heard some bad things about Find Now in the File Open dialogue. I think the feature was introduced in Office 97.

I don't use this but a friend of mine does so I'll ask just to confirm if Find Now is a little broken.

My friend has a folder C:MS Word Docs. In there are 479 total files, of which 174 are *.doc and 51 are *.wp5 (a DOS version of Word Perfect). Don't ask why WP docs are in this folder given its name. Also don't ask what the rest of the files are (I think some are windows versions of WP) bcs I don't think it is relevant. He's running Word 97 but I'm not sure what SR (probably the original release knowing my friend).

We did four searches to list specific documents to narrow the files to look at for opening:
    1. name box=blank [left blank]
    type=.doc
    text or property=Brookdale
    last modified=any time
    [I'll omit the last 2 lines below since they don't change.]

result was 43 files found with "Brookdale"; Find Now completed normally.

2. name box=blank
    type=all

result was 28 files found, including some wp5's, when Word crashed with an illegal operation in Kernel2.dll. Last file displayed was one of the wp5 files. If I remove this file from the folder, the system crashes after another wp5 file. No way to really tell what file was being examined at the time of the crash.

3. name=*.wp5
    type=all

result was the search completed to the end and found 9 wp5 files that had "Brookdale".

4. name=*.*
    type=all

result was a crash with the last file displayed as a wpd document.

We also used Windows' Find for the searches that crashed above (limiting the folder and entering the equivalent info). Everything worked fine.

Is there a pattern in this that I'm not seeing? Is this fixed in Word 2000?

Thks.

Fred

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Find Now

Hi Fred:

I tried playing around in Word 2000. Although I couldn't make Word crash, I found that I couldn't even limit myself to Word Perfect documents. I've found Word's ability to search for files so poor that I've never used it. Using Windows Find is much superior. A product that was recommended & that I now love is Wilbur. It's an extremely fast searching tool. You can get it at

http://wilbur.redtree.com/.

Hope this helps.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Phil.

I never use Word's (or any office application) Find Now feature. This was for a friend (honest, not me).

Are you saying in Word 2000 that you can't enter a file type in the Find Now dialog of .wp5 or .wpd (or whatever Word perfect is)? That's rather surprising.

I'll take a look at Wilbur. But it seems like Wilbur is a substitute for (or a refined version of) Windows' Find, not the open dialog find.

Fred

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I find it surprising, too. Never noticed it before because I haven't used any of my old Word Perfect documents in a long time. I'm going to have to check it out.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Oh, & Wilbur is a text/file finding utility. Use something like PowerDesk from Ontrack (I can't find the URL) or use Quick View with Windows Explorer. It's too bad Word's find is so bad.