Thread: Apps Crashing

New Lounger
    Thanks

Apps Crashing

I have a recurring problem with various apps. I believe the windows common dialog .dll or whatever it is is corrupted somehow. When trying to select a drive/folder to save or load a file from the application I am using totally crashes. No warning, no error message, it just crashes instantaneously and totally - gone. One minute I'm in Word, Outlook, Winamp or whatever, I try to save an attachment or select a file from the windows common dialog and boom - I'm suddenly staring at the desktop. I'm using 2000 pro and have all of the required sp's and updates installed. Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions? I suspect I need to replace an offending .dll or two. Guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Apps Crashing

I can't think which one, but I recall this type of situation being caused by a virus infection.

Make sure your anti-virus software is updated and running would be my first suggestion.
    Christopher Baldrey

New Lounger
    Thanks

Chris,
    Thanks, but I don't believe that is the problem. I'm in a corporate environment well protected by firewalls and an automatically updated (daily) corporate version of Norton's virus tool. I think the .dll is just broken or corrupt. Any ideas on which I should try replacing? (after making careful backups...)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

At the command prompt, type CHKDSK /F and reboot.
    If problem persists, check event list for exact error description (you must have administrative rights to do it).

By the way, what your corporate Help Desk people are doing?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Like I want to get them involved... NOT! My philosophy is to only let them at it as a last resort. Their basic philosophy is to reformat & start fresh. Which I'd like to avoid for obvious reasons. The problem is random and only pops its head up once in a while. If it was my home system I'd systematically test & track it down, but here I'm "on the clock" and have better things to do. I ran a thorough virus scan using the latest signature file yesterday, it came up clean. I'll try chkdsk as I leave today...

Thanks