Thanks

Command Buttons & Touch Screen (2000 SP1a & 2002 SP1)

A client wants an application written for Touch Screen only - ie. no use of the keyboard or mouse. Many of the people who will be using the application are elderly and either have a hard time with a mouse or are visually impared.

There is no problem designing forms with large enough fonts or command buttons. With a conventional screen, keyboard and mouse, the relevant code is run from the "On Click" event of the command button. Does the same hold true for the Touch Screen - i.e. will the code be run when the user touches and then releases the command button with a finger?

Thanks in advance.

John
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks

Re: Command Buttons & Touch Screen (2000 SP1a & 2002 SP1)

Hi,
    My guess would be that it's much the same as on handheld devices designed for stylus input. The touch screen driver for those devices translates the input into a subset of mouse responses, namely the various left-click and movement events. I'll do some digging and try and confirm this for you.
    Hope that helps.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I suspect that the Touch Screen may be different for different manufacturers. In the one application we built that uses one, the screen responds as though you had clicked a mouse (i.e. Access would see a Mouse Click event). We attached a mouse as well, as some people preferred a mouse to using the Touch Screen. At least in our case the reason that some people preferred the mouse was that the target area for the buttons we used seemed to be smaller that the button appeared to be, and offset slightly from the button display. I would guess the useage is about 70% Touch Screen and 30% Mouse. In our case we installed the Touch Screens (for a simple personnel Check In/Out) after the fact, and didn't have to change any of the Access design. Hope this helps.
    Wendell

Thanks

Thanks Wendell and Rory. I had hoped that this would be the case and from both of your replies, looks like it is. My client has ordered his touch screen and when it arrives, I will hook it up to my system and see what happens. Thanks again for the replies.

John
    John

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

How did you touch screen application turn out? How does the touch screen interact with Access? Is it like a Click event? I'm going in to discuss an application that would require touch screens, and it would certainly be helpful to know a little something going in!
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Thanks

Hi Mark:

Customer still has not had touchscreen delivered, so I can't give you a definite answer. As soon as the monitor comes in I am going to get it and test it out. I will let you know as soon as I have an answer. I sure hope that it responds like a Click event. If not, I'm not sure what I will do. Keeping my fingers crossed.

John
    John

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. And if I learn anything, I'll let you know. I may also make another post here to see if anyone else knows about touch screens.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Thanks

Hi Mark:
    Finally got the Touchscreen and tested the application. Works Perfectly !!! When designing the command buttons, I sized them to .5" X .5" but they don't even have to be that big (at least on this touchscreen - NEC). Everything works just like a mouse click and the customer is delighted. Hope this info is helpful.

Regards,
    John
    John