Lounger
    Thanks

Incoming html e-mails truncated (2000 SR1)

Not sure if this is an Outlook problem, but...
    Recently (last 2-3 weeks) when I receive e-mails which are html formatted, especially editions of the several Woodie's Watches to which I am subscribed, they arrive in my Inbox truncated, usually with only the first screenfull of text and graphics present. I get no error message and no indication of problems from Outlook or anywhere else. I cannot retrieve the rest of the message without accessing Woodie's archives. This never happened before.
    My e-mail client is Outlook 2000 SR1; I use Norton Antivirus 2000 and Norton Internet Security, which might, I suppose, be implicated. And I'm running Win98 SR2.
    Also, it could be a problem at my ISP.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Incoming html e-mails truncated (2000 SR1)

Are you using IE6? I think a problem from the beta may have returned.

Are you using the email scanning feature and have you disabled it to see if that fixes it?

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I am using IE6 as my browser and the timing suggests you may be right --previously I had IE5.5 and upgraded at just about the time this started happening. Not sure what to do. When you say 'e-mail scanning feature', do you mean in Norton Antivirus? If so, the answer is yes, but I would be very loath to disable it as it is my front-line protection against e-mail viruses?

Why would a bug/problem in IE affect the way Outlook downloads e-mails? Does Outlook use IE when the e-mails are in html format?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

OL uses the HTML rendering engine in IE, something with that is causing the problems.

If you have NAV on autoprotect, email scanning is not offering additional protection, only advanced warning. But you only need to disable it for a few days to see if it makes a difference. You can turn it back on once you get another bad HTML message. This is basically to rule out a NAV/IE6 problem and if you still get bad messages, you know it's IE6 only.

Thanks

Also see this earlier post: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=out&Number=96524>Re: Truncated HTML message display (Outlook 2000 SR1)</A>.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that reference to an earlier post, identifying mlang.dll as the culprit. I replaced it with the version of that file from the Windows 98 SR2 CD and it seems to have solved the problem immediately. I had installed IE6 by download from Microsoft's site, so either that particular installation brought with it a faulty version of the file or it failed to correctly replace the IE5.5 version. Whatever... all now seems to be working o.k. Hope someone in Microsoft is listening.