Lounger
    Thanks

Back Up Contacts (Outlook 98)

I have Outlook 98 on W98 pc. I want to backup my contacts so if my pc ever crashes I don't have to re-enter them all. I've read help and the info on how to back up contacts and then Re-Import them back into the Outlook Program later is kind of vague and confusing.

I dragged the Contacts folder to the desktop but it only gave me an option to create a shortcut on the desktop.

Can somebody tell me how to back up the actual Contacts Folder and then how to Re-Import the Contacts later if I have to>

Thanks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Back Up Contacts (Outlook 98)

I'm not using Outlook 98, so my instructions may be slightly off. If you go to File-Import and Export, you can export your Contact file to a .pst.

Choose Export to a file, Personal Folder File (.pst), Select your Contact list, and tell it where you'd like to save your exported pst file.

If you ever need to import your contacts back into Outlook, just go back to File-Import and Export, and select Import from another program or file. Select personal folder file (pst) from the list, then tell it where you keep your backup pst file.

Hope this helps!
    Becky

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Import and Export are bad.

File > New > Personal folders and copy the contacts (either just the contacts or the entire folder). By copying the folder, you save any custom views. right click on the folder and close when done.

to back up the entire message store, contacts and all, locate the pst on your hard drive and make a copy. no need for the backup utility.

for a regular automated backups, create a batch file to back it up and load outlook. use this to start outlook after a reboot.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Why are Import and Export bad? At my office, that's what we use whenever an attorney wants to put his office Contact list onto his home computer. Is using the Import/Export wizard bad for that, too?

Thanks,
    Becky

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

it messes up modified dates - which screws up archiving (not usually a problem with just contacts though).

the bigger issue is custom views are not imported/exported. it's also a needless step when the purpose is to back up the pst - just make a copy of the pst and you won't mess up dates or lose views.

Lounger
    Thanks

I WENT TO C:WindowsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook and found a file:
    Outlook.pst. Is this the file with the contacts in it?

Its not a Folder but a file
    I copied this file to the desktop.

There are a few other files in the Directory:

MS Outlook Internet Settings
    outcmd.dat
    Views.dat

What are these files for?
    Should I back them up also?

Thanks much

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Your personal settings are in this path. You can back them up and/or copy them to a new PC to transfer the settings. You'll see that the left hand part of the file name on some of these files matches the profile that you log on with. If you do a restore or a transfer you need to make sure that match.