New Lounger
    Thanks

Word Global Add-ins (w2k)

Is there a way via VBA to stop the global files being loaded? Eg, I have a large user community who access global add-ins off the network, I have a very small number of these people who do not wish to load the global files. The users wishing to opt out do not want to hold down the shift key when word launches, so is there something I can put in an autoexec within normal.dot which will stop the other globals from loading?

Thanks

Re: Word Global Add-ins (w2k)

How are the users auto-loading those templates?

You could write a macro that sets Installed = False for those templates. For further insight on the trickiness of this, see last year's discussion <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=wrd&Number=36660>Macro for loading templates and addins</A>.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply but I had already tried using the installed = false which seemed to produce the desired effect when run in design time, however, when I closed word all together and re-launched it, the autoexec code ran in normal.dot, then my other global add-ins loaded back in.

I presume it's something to do with the order in which files load during startup, eg normal.dot followed by anything located in the designated startup area etc. Would this be the reason why the autoexec seems to uncheck the add-ins and then they appear checked again later?

The startup files all come from a server location we've designated which is different to the location of the word default startup location.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If the list of "opt-out" users is small enough that you don't mind putting their names in the code, or alternatively in a text file that could be referenced by the code, then maybe something like the following would work:

Determine which of the add-ins is the last to load.
    Put an AutoExec in this add-in - this would get Application.Username and compare that against the list of opt-out users.
    If a match is found, then set installed = false for all of the add-ins.
    (Including the one this code is running in - not sure what would happen, but possibly it would unload without ill effects.)

Gary