I came across a weird bug using WinXP and the Intellimouse v4.01 driver software and found a "fix" that I thought I'd share with youse.

I activated the Guest account to let guests use my system while supposedly keeping my system safe and secure from helpful people who might try to install some software without asking or mess things up otherwise.

After checking the Guest account to make sure the security policy I setup was working, and using the "Switch User" function to get back into my account, I noticed some of the custom mouse settings I had configured were no longer working. What was weird was that my custom settings were set the way I wanted in the mouse control panel.

Changing the settings to something else and clicking Apply didn't fix things. Doing that and rebooting didn't either.

I had to go into Device Manager and reinstall the driver. Only then would custom settings take effect.

This doesn't always happen either. After fixing things I switched between the Guest and my accounts several times and the problem reappeared on the eighth iteration.

Microsoft knows about this. But, they don't have a permanent fix yet; only the workaround (the one I used) which is in KB article <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314352>Q314352</A>.