New Lounger
    Thanks

Slow to save (Excel 97)

I've got a workbook of 450k and it's taking me around 5 minutes to save it. This only applies to this one workbook, normally I would expect such a task to take a few seconds. The Task Manager tells me that Excel is not responding, but after around 5 mins it comes back having saved the workbook

The workbook has several worksheets, each with not much data, 2 command buttons, 1 form, a code module and a class module.

Does anyone have any clue as to what might cause this?

Cheers

Mark

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slow to save (Excel 97)

Is there any code in the Workbook Save event routine, the Class Module, or any other event routine that might be getting triggered when the workbook is saved?
    Legare Coleman

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slow to save (Excel 97) SOLVED

Hello

Thanks for your answer. I don't know why but I have saved the file locally and it now takes a second to save instead of 5 minutes on the share. I know that it will be a little slower on the share but other files there of equivalent size take a few seconds to save.

There's no save event for the workbook and no events which would be triggered on save

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

That sounds to me like the virus protection on the server not working properly. That can happen if the scan software is set to start scanning too quickly and starts fighting with Excel for control of the file.
    Legare Coleman

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had a similar experience with an Excel 2000 file taking forever to open or save in Windows ME.

After much trial and error I found that the problem was with files containing command buttons - no code or data required.

When I copied the file to another computer the problem didn't occur. This suggested it was the system not the file.

Reinstalling Excel or Office didn't help, but the problem went away after I formatted C: and reinstalled the whole system.

Ian.