3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

TOC across Multiple Docs (Word 2000 SR1a)

I appended the question below to a recent question. As there hasn't been a response I wonder if doing it that way is incorrect, so here goes again.
    As far as I can see, if you insert a TOC field followed by RD fields for say three documents, you get one TOC for all three.
    What I want to be able to do is have a paragraph describing a document, then the TOC for that document, then a paragraph describing the next document followed by its TOC and so on.
    If you type the overview, insert the TOC and an RD for that doc, then do the same for the next etc, when you have finished each TOC is for all three docs.
    I have hacked around and cannot find out how to set this up.
    Is it possible please?
    If Charles Kenyon sees this - thanks for pointing to Tech Tav. Found a couple of macros there that are really useful to me.
    Peter Grainge

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TOC across Multiple Docs (Word 2000 SR1a)

Hi Peter:
    As far as I know, (but I would love for someone to jump in & find a way) you can't accomplish what you want by using RD fields. RD fields don't even take switches.

The best way to do this is not to use RD fields. Bookmark the TOC in each document (e.g. bk1, bk2, bk3, etc.). Then, in your summary document, use an Includetext field as follows:

Overview for Doc1.doc
    {Includetext "C:foldersubfolderdoc1.doc" bk1 !}

Overview for doc2.doc
    {Includetext "C:foldersubfolderdoc2.doc" bk2 !}

etc.

NOTE THE USE OF THE ! SWITCH AT THE END. If you fail to do this, Word will try to search for headings in the current document, rather than the source document & return an error message.

Hope this helps.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Phil, that worked fine. The only hiccough was that the field added Mergeformat so that the TOC did not display correctly. Once I removed that, it was perfect, many thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Peter:
    You're welcome & I'm glad it worked for you. I usually type my fields & forgot about the mergeformat switch.