Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Doner38

System Resouce Leak

I am looking for a method or utility to recover system resources, after closing various programs, without re booting. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Don

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: System Resouce Leak

The ONLY way is to reboot. If the program does NOT give it back it is a program problem NOT a Windows problem.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think Dave is pretty much correct. There are some utilities that claim to free memory, but it's debatable whether this improves performance. If you want to try one, I've used a freeware program called RamPage. It hasn't caused any problems, on the other hand, results are negligible. Available at: http://www.jfitz.com

Doner38

Thanks for the information. It seems like each OS should include a utility that would force the recovery of system resources when a program exit.

Frank Virginia

I've been using Rampage and I don't agree with your comment where it doesn't seem to do much. It's doing just what I wanted (free ram at specified low point, modified increments, etc). When I first installed it with the defaults it didn't appear to do much but once I changed the parameters it is well worth it.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok, fair enough, that confirms the author's own feelings. This from his FAQ:
    Windows keeps crashing or runs really slowly. Will RAMpage solve my problems?
    Probably not, but many users claim it helps.

RAMpage monitors and frees memory. That's it. End of story. A buggy application that eats graphic resources will still be a buggy application that eats graphics resources after you've loaded RAMpage. There are claims that some applications seem less prone to crashing if available physical memory doesn't drop too low. If this is the case, running RAMpage with a low threshold, (or running it from a batch file from time to time), might help keep a system up and running.

RAMpage can help a lot if you're trying to identify a memory-hogging application, or if you're working to improve your system's settings and want to keep an eye on free memory as you go.

I have seen posts on newsgroups where someone wildly praises RAMpage as the solution to all their resource-related problems one day, only to post again the next day to say that it doesn't work. Neither of these posts are accurate -- RAMpage works exactly as described, but it is not a Windows cure-all.

jfitzFAQ

ileacy

It's even worse than that. I have not even found any programs which will show the parents/owners of resources.

My own "solution" is to run the W98 Resource Meter in startup and react before the system crashes. I also use it to monitor resource usage of specific programs and note when I have Bad/Mis-behaved software. Sometimes just exiting and restarting the problem child is enough to fix the problem.

ileacy

jmatt

Memzip10 claims to achive what you require .

http://sac-ftp.externet.hu/utilmisc13.html

ileacy

Took a look at the program. It might handle real memory cleanup but it does not handle resources.

PS. The board supports markup tags, see the help, section 17.

This allows active linking of references, eg.
    http://sac-ftp.externet.hu/utilmisc13.html

jmatt

Thanks Ian , not used to doing Markup Tags , hope to get the habbit soon . Very good site , John .

jmatt

The link dos'nt look right Ian , may need some help . John .

jmatt

This may also be of interest .

9) Zone Alarm Responds

http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2001/2001-01-11.htm#9

jmatt

It's OK

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I edited it and the system did NOT leave the edited note.[img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast