Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Spell Checking Form Fields

I put your code into a global template and with your permission (and that of Dave Rado) I will post it on my website as freeware at: http://www.addbalance.com/word/download/index.htm They may want to post it on the MVPs site as well.

I've attached my draft (zipped file). Thoughts?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Charles,

OK with me- my only problem is I didn't get Dave's permission for posting it here. Oh dear. [img]/w3timages/icons/crybaby.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/crybaby.gif[/img]

I'd just like to have people check that it works, and to correct problems.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Thanks

Hi Geoff,
    This is just a thought - I don't know if it would speed the code up unless you had a lot of sections - but there are a number of references to ActiveDocument so I'd probably use
    With ActiveDocument
    End With
    particularly as two of them are within a For...Next loop.
    Any thoughts?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Spell Checking Form Fields- and protect forms

Hi,

I thought after I posted it would have been better to put this posting in a way which could be used by anyone who didn't know VBA.

As a bonus, this document also includes replacement for the "protect forms" which does NOT reset data whe you protect a document for forms- something I've always found a big nuisance. It's completely transparent- and allows all normal protection to work (eg for revisions; put in passwords).

To set this up, copy the attached "SpellCheck.dot" into your startup directory (You can find that by Tools, options, file locations, startup). Restart Word.

The "new" spellcheck, for checking protected forms, is available from the red tick spelling check. The protection is available through the normal methods.

If anybody uses this, I'd appreciate feedback, good or bad.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Rory,

Point taken. Thanks.

I should also make the "internal" routines private so they don't show in macro dropdown lists.

Thanks

I have checked it, in Word 97 and Word 2000, on unprotected documents, completely protected documents, partially protected documents, and protected documents with passwords. The only problem I ran into is that you need the password to check documents that have a password.

That can be handled in the code if it is put into the individual template or document. I still haven't heard anything from Dave Rado, but I doubt that he will be miffed so long as the source was acknowledged.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Chas,

Sounds good. Thanks for that. I appreciate the feedback.

I have contacted the MVPS site. I haven't heard back yet.

The only thing I should add is that it's not just Dave Rado, but Bill Coan, Astrid Zeelenberg and Dan Monk

Thanks

Geoff,

You might want to alter your attachment a bit.

1) consider putting it in a zip file. Otherwise, for me, the template opens in my Internet Explorer. Also, Word documents (including templates) tend to have strings hanging out that get clipped off over the Internet by the mail handlers. Zipping the file tapes all of these strings down inside the package so they don't get cut off.

2) don't protect the template for forms (or at least not with a password) if you want to give people access to the code.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Chas,

1. A word doc opens in my IE too- but that hasn't been a problem. I can save it and open it in Word if I want. I'm not sure what you mean by strings though.

But a zip file should be OK.

2. I'll unprotect it- but it didn't have a password. Even with a password on the form, that doesn't keep you away from the code- that's still open.

BTW, I've had some feedback from Dave Rado with a few usefule points- I will be clarifying some of them.

Thanks

I got a copy of the e-mail that Dave sent you.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

*** This was posted by mcarpent99 as a new thread- I've brought a copy over to this thread where it applies ***

I am struggling with spell checking in protected forms and downloaded and saved your SpellCheck.dot file to the right location and after restarting Word I do get the red check mark on my tool bar. When I click it though, it ignores errors and says it is complete. The only time it noted an error was on a Grammar check on a misspelled word suggesting a capital letter for the beginning of a sentence.

I have since gone to Tools | Options and Check Document with the same result.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

This is really me repplying to mcaprpent's post which I copied!

I've had no trouble with this, and had no trouble with the document which was attached.

A general question, not to MCarpent- Is there something more general which tells Word that a document is checked? I've had that happen, apart from this macro- I presume it had been checked previously, and Word had marked it as checked. When I make changes to the document, it checks OK.

Is this the case? If so, can I force the spell checking to happen?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Geoff,
    If you open the spelling options page, the Recheck document button should reset it.
    If you are looking to add this to your macro, look at the properties
    SpellingChecked and ResetIgnoreAll

From Help:
    Application.ResetIgnoreAll
    ActiveDocument.SpellingChecked = False
    ActiveDocument.CheckSpelling

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<font face="Georgia"><font color=448800>Hi there Geoff! I hope I'm understanding correctly - spell check won't? [Boy, this is a LONG thread!]
    I'm not conversant with VB code but when I opened your attachment I noted that the language was set to 'None'. When I changed the language to English (Australian)and then ran spell check, the typos were picked up by spell check. </font face=georgia></font color=448800>
    Patricia

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks James,

Those lines of code were in the macro (as copied from the MVPS site), so that doesn't solve the problem as raised by mccarpent. It does help me to understand the code from the mvps site better though!

Davr Rado actually suggested that the "Application.ResetIgnoreAll" should not be used as a matter of course. If a user chose to ignore all occurrences of a word, and then rechecked the document, they may be annoyed at having to check the same words previously marked as "Ignore".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast