New Lounger
    Thanks

Easy Install? NOT. Compatible? NOT

I wish install was easy. Went from Me to XP. Bad move so far. To install, required removal of all cards except video. Reinstalled each card and restart. XP could not handle all my cards at once. Had to call MS support and 45 minute wait on my phone bill to get this. Still not right, but based on Woody's assesment, Ill give it time. I still have major video problems. It appears XP has some compatibility problems with ATI Radeon video cards and Some of the GForce 2's and 3's. MS said that ATI is slow to update there drivers (which I have seen written in other forum's.

My system is a Athlon 1.2GhZ with 256 MB 2100 DDR memory. ATI Radeon 7200, Biostar M7MIA motherboard w/233 FSB, 40 gig Quantum fireball (Came in Maxtor box) and a linksys 10/100 rev 2 (that XP doesnt like) and Yamaha CD-RW (that I cant use cause software wont support XP but I can buy new version from Roxio, so I will not due there products anymore)

It sometime fails on start up and has to reboot its self. Playing games that utilize direct draw, usualy lock up or just quit with error that win XP had error and could not complet a direct draw action.

I am open to ideas and suggestions other then, "wait for ATI to fix problem with XP" I received from MS.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Easy Install? NOT. Compatible? NOT

This was a clean install, or an upgrade? I've heard tales of some pretty weird behavior when installing XP in upgrade mode.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

HI GB
    My immediate reaction to your post (apart from sympathy) was the sinking feeling when I saw you were upgrading from ME. Are you quite certain that this was entirely expunged from your system before trying to install XP? I say this because the hardware you describe is very similar to a set-up I had - the presence of ME being the difference. I did not have the problems you describe, and XP is rapidly becoming my OS of choice.
    ATI card drivers can be updated direct from the MS update site. I don't think the Rage or Magnum series are inherently incompatible with XP, though it is vital to get the latest drivers (which are fairly hefty downloads). As I say, my Rage 2000 Pro worked fine. Unfortunately I cannot speak for Radeon. I'm also assuming that you have Direct X 8.1 installed.
    With running as flaky as that, I'd go to bare metal and start again.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, upgrade

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, from MS, the radeon is a problem. That was from there suppot people. They acknowledged that the latest update was an interim (got feeling thats all ATI releases)

The other problem is that this was not a clean install. It was an upgrade which might reflect the problem. However, I removed all drivers and software that MS reported as not happy wioth XP, (includining eithernet card which works great under XP and they say it wont so go figure)

Lounger
    Thanks

Oh, man. That's the thing about upgrades. Sometimes they work great. Sometimes they're hairpullers.

ATI will get things straight, eventually.