New Lounger
    Thanks

Welcome/Shutdown Screen Graphics

Under Windows 9x the graphics used for the startup and shutdown screens could be found as logo.sys, logow.sys and logos.sys (or close enough, I think). I now run WinXP Pro and I'd like to use the background from the welcome screen as the background for my desktop. I've done some searching but I can't seem to find such a file. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
    Paul

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Welcome/Shutdown Screen Graphics

Hi Paul,

The XP logon screen is stored in a protected system file called LOGONUI.EXE. You can download new welcome screens from many places on the 'net but to use the picture that is stored in the EXE you'll need to use something like to extract the image from the EXE file. There's a great write=up on how to create your own at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.xp-erience.org/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=129>http://www.xp-erience.org/sections.php?op=...ticle&artid=129 but you can just as easily reverse the process and grab the image you want to use.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mark. The process no longer seems as straight forward as it used to be, but I'll take your advice and give it a try.

Cheers,

Paul

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You're right - it's not anywhere near as straightforward, but I think this was done in the name of having a consistent look across the board. Windows 2000 is also difficult to change and even riskier, and in NT4 before that was more or less "secret" - from NT to XP the target was business.

Good luck with it!
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Mark:

Followed your advice/instructions to create a new desktop background. While it was more complex than usual, your advice was spot on.

Keep up the good work an thanks.

Cheers,
    Paul