Lounger
    Thanks

Form addition is driving me crazy! (Word2000 SR1)

I am trying to design a form which will require the user to complete two columns of figures, relating to client's capital and partner's capital. Each column has to be totalled, and I have set up calculated fields which work quite satisfactorily. I then want to provide a further field which totals the two previous figures. I have bookmarked the total fields 'owncap' and 'partcap', and in the new field I have entered the formula as '=owncap+partcap'. The result is gibberish. For example, I have entered some specimen figures, which total correctly to give owncap as 8,228 and partcap as 14,521. The total comes out as 767,201,374(!), instead of 22,749. No combination of figures or functions seems to give this result, and I cannot see what I am doing wrong.

Any ideas, please?

Howard Merkin

Thanks

Re: Form addition is driving me crazy! (Word2000 SR1)

Hi Howard,

Is there a reason for not doing this in Excel?

Check your bookmarks with display of non-printing characters turned on. Is the end-of-cell mark included in your bookmark? If it is, redefine your bookmark to exclude it and try again.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Lounger
    Thanks

Charles,

Thank you for your reply. I am not using Excel because the intended users of the form do not usually use or have access to Excel. I agree that its use would solve the addition problem.

The users have to complete a form required by a government agency, and it is desirable that the output looks as much like the original form as possible. I imagine that the agency still expect the forms to be completed by typewriter! I have tried to make my form follow the layout and typography of the original as far as possible. The number of figures to be added is relatively small, and the result could be calculated manually. I haveproduced other forms where Word does the calculations successfully, and I wonder whether I am stretchig the program's ability too far.

I always have the display of non-printing characters turned on, and there do not appear to be any trace of these in the bookmarks.

I attach an extract (about 48kb) of the form which will show my problem. If I put in very small numbers in the two columns, giving the result of the two totals as 'abc', the 'TOTAL CAPITAL' figure comes out as abcabc. I could try dividing the result by 1001, but this sems a rather crude way of working.

I shall be grateful for any further suggestions.

Regards,

Howard Merkin

Lounger
    Thanks

Oops! I forgot the attachment

Howard
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

I note that several of your form fields that are supposed to be part of the calculations don't have "calculate on exit" checked. Don't know if that is the source of your problems.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Super Moderator
    Thanks

There seems to be something funny with the bookmark definition. If you select the owncap field and redefine its bookmark and do the same for partcap then the calculation is correct. It appears that Word is doing the calculation on two separate sets of the bookmarks.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks

Charles and Andrew,

I think that I have now got this sorted. I went to Microsoft's Knowledge Base Q211253, which is entitled 'Calculations in Form Field Shows Wrong Result'. It says that Word defines the bookmarks assigned to the Calculation fields incorrectly, so that it does not correctly parse the form fields, but concatenates them instead!

The article gives several work arounds. The one that I have found works best in my problem is the second method, which is not entirely clear, but once you have grasped what they are talking about when referring to the Calculation form field that produces the incorrect results - i.e. the result that is wrong) it seems to work quite well, and my sanity has returned.

I frankly cannot follow the third method, which will not work for me at all, while the fourth method, using table cell references rather than bookmark names only seems to work if all the calculations are in the same table. You also need to work out what the cell references are, since if you have combined the first two cells in a row, this becomes column A, which confuses the issue somewhat.

The Knowledge Base article seems to suggest that this arises from a bug in Word 2000, although they don't use such an ugly word. Does anyone know whether this has been fixed in Word 2002?

Regards,

Howard