2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Use an ost file to move mail between sites? (Office 2K sr1)

I have two users moving from one office to another tomorrow. The two offices are different Exchange sites, so I can't easily use the Move Mailbox feature in Exchange (5.5).

Here is my question, though--they will be bringing their laptops with them tomorrow, and those laptops already have their offline folders. Can I use an ost file to "fill" a new Exchange mailbox? In other words, they synchronize everything offline and disconnect from Exchange Site 1. I delete their accounts on 1 and re-create them in Site 2. I then point their Outlook profile to the mailbox on Site 2--can I then synchronize their offline folders to essentially populate their mailbox in Site 2?

If not, how about this...can I create the users on Site 2, create a new profile on their laptops, and then open the old .ost file as an additional service and move the items from that ost into the mailbox?

I'm trying to avoid making pst files of the mailboxes, burning them onto CDs, and then having them transferred to Site 2 (these mailboxes are quite large).

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

klyjen

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Use an ost file to move mail between sites? (Office 2K sr1)

We move the malboxes on the server side with exmove like you mention at first. It is harder when different sites are involved. But it works. The one time I tried the ost trick the sync up ended up deleted the contents of the ost! (Thank you Microsoft). Maybe that wasn't supposed to happen, but there you are...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

no - osts are tied to one mailbox. switch their delivery to a pst on the old server, hook up the new profile and set delivery back to the mailbox. they can either manually populate the mailbox or leave it to slowly move the messages to the default folders automatically. when done, they can set up an ost.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks MaryJ. I ended up just moving the mailboxes the old way--I decided I didn't want to test anything on that kind of short notice. It just seemed like a waste to export everything and re-import, when I might have been able to simply import from the .ost. It was worth a shot, anyway...

jennifer

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ouch. I'm glad I didn't decide to test my theory on these mailboxes!