Thanks

Browsing for a File (A2K, SR1)

... I would like to give users the ability to browse (search, explore,...) for a file from Access and then open the file. For example, on a form, can it be set up such that a user could see all available drives, click on a drive and see all of the folders, click on a folder and see files. The ultimate goal would be to select a file and open it. (Similar to the windows explore feature).

I could have the users just type in the path and filename, but, that is just too much work. Besides, they (being the users) can't type well anyway and just cause errors due to spelling errors.

The ultimate goal is to have the ability for Access to automatically open an MS Project file selected by the user and then save the file as an MS Access Database which will then be accessed to extract MS Project data.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. ... Of course, if you have any other ideas on how to open and save the MS Project database will be appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Any Ideas??
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Browsing for a File (A2K, SR1)

Thought about using a tree view? Not easy and a lot of coding to be done. I should think that there's something on this in the archive files somewhere
    Regards
    Waring Thin

Thanks

Thanks. Now that you mention it, I do remember some posts on this. I will give it a try.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Open a form in design view.
    From the tools menubar, click More Controls (hammer + wrench).
    Click Microsoft Common Dialog Control, & put it on your form somewhere. It will be invisible at run time. Set properties to suit.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The code for the FileOpenSave common dialog is readily available in a number of places on the web, including <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/access/>http://www.mvps.org/access/</A>. It is also included in FMS TotalSourcebook product and in the Access Developer's Handbook.

You can, as Peter suggested, use the common dialog control if you have the developer's version so that you can distribute it with your application. Otherwise, get the code that calls the common dialog directly and use that. It also breaks less frequently than calling the common dialog control in Access, particularly if you might run into a mixture of Office/VB versions out there.
    Charlotte

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your help. I will try the code that Charlotte suggested.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

Thanks

...Thanks again Charlotte. The WEB link provided allowed me to find just what I was looking for.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)