Lounger
    Thanks

open connections (Access 97)

I have been creating a web solution using Interdev. The data is stored in Access 97 tables. When the web page is accessed the connection to the tables opens because of the design controller. 2 issues. We are having a problem closing the connection when the user exits the browser and more importantly, is there a tool that can identify the open connections to an access db.

Thank you for any help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: open connections (Access 97)

Several questions:
    Are you using ASP to display database content, or is some other technology involved?
    If you are using ASP, what version are you using?
    What version of Interdev are you using?
    Is you web solution intended for an intranet or for the Internet?
    What level of traffic are you expecting?
    What database access method are you using - DAO?

One answer:
    In general you can look at the .ldb file and see who has been connected recently. If I recall correctly, in 97 the file goes away when nobody is connected - I know it does in 2000. There is a tool available from several sources that will give you more info about the situation - I believe the white paper on locking gives a reference to it.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your reply.
    Are you using ASP to display database content, or is some other technology involved? ASP
    If you are using ASP, what version are you using? Not ASP+
    What version of Interdev are you using? 6
    Is you web solution intended for an intranet or for the Internet? Intranet
    What level of traffic are you expecting? Moderate
    What database access method are you using - DAO? DAO

Which white paper discusses this?

Thanks again,
    Scott

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you are using Interdev 6 then you are also using ASP 3.0. I suspect you will need to implement some sort of timeout structure for your database connection, or you will need to drop the connection each time you display or update data via an ASP page. If you are looking at a moderate level of traffic (or higher), you may want to look at a SQL Server backend rather than Access. For anything more than light to medium light traffic we found we had problems with Access corruption when we used 97. Jet 4 and Access 2000 seem to be more foregiving - one of our clients has been running a 2000 backend with no significant problems over a span of 6 months.

As to you question about the white paper you can find the details <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q176670>here</A>. Hope this helps.
    Wendell