Lounger
    Thanks

CD rom drive letter disappeared

For some reason the drive letter for my CD rom disappeared. I have tried to uninstall the CD rom from the Device Manager in order for windows to install the drivers again but without success. I suspects that there is a problem in the registry.

Please help!!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CD rom drive letter disappeared

There are several possibilities.
    First of all, check hardware itself: during bootup process, call BIOS Setup (depending of your computer, it can be "Delete" key for Award BIOS, F2 for IBM and HP models, F10 for Compaq...) and look is your CD visible.
    Second, it can be a virus. Update your Antivirus program and perform full system scan.
    Third, some software conflicts can cause problems. Did you install something recently? Did you accept any "upgrades" and "adjustments" from web pages?

If your BIOS sees CD-ROM and Windows doesn't, you can try to restore your last good full system backup. Save your documents before restoring.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you see the CD in disk management? If so then see what it shows for a right click "change drive letter or path".

StuartR

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply.
    The BIOS can see the CD Rom and I have scanned for viruses.
    I have recently installed software for an external CD writer (Adaptech CD Creator). I think the problem started after that. I since uninstalled it but that could not bring the CD rom back.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You state that you have tried to remove the CD from Device Manager - go an additional step. Remove it again, but do not reboot. Then go into the hardware wizard (right click on "My Computer" and select properties) - select Uninstall/Unplug a device and then Uninstall a device. Remove any instances of it you see there. Make sure you tick the checkbox that reads "Show hidden devices". Once you have gone through this and cleaned out all references to the drive, reboot, and it should re-detect and re-install the CD-ROM drive. You may want to go so far as to remove the IDE controller as well, just make sure you have the CD handy or copy the contents to the hard drive. If you can find updated IDE drivers for the system that are Windows 2000 specific, you may want to install them - I find that the default drivers work well enough, but updated IDE drivers can make a difference.

An alternate option is to boot with the CD and run the repair process from the CD setup program, and allow it to check everything.

Let us know how this works, Frits, I've had this happen too and with enough fiddling around I can usually get the system to recognize it again.
    -Mark

Thanks

Hi, Mark ~

Which window in the Hardware Wizard gives the option to Uninstall/Unplug a device? I am only greeted w/ add options.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

D'oh! I composed that post from a Win2000 workstation and now it's time to eat my words. That option doesn't exist in WinXP for reasons I will never understand. Sorry!
    -Mark

Thanks

Hi, Mark ~

OK. Hmmmm....I've noticed a device that is indiacted as unknown and I am unable to determine what it is. I'm not having a problem, but wonder if it may be. (?)

Thanks

I didn't realize Win2000 had a Hardware Wizard. I've always used the control panel's Add/Remove Hardware to get to unplug/eject, and I just assumed this is where I would uninstall from.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

That's the same thing that I'm referring to...if you go to it from the System Properties dialog, I believe it's called the Hardware Wizard on the button, but it launches the same applet when you click on it. In XP the behacior is different - the wizard searches for new hardware instead of giving you the radio buttons to make a choice.
    -Mark