New Lounger
    Thanks

Creating Software with Access (Access 2000)

I am relatively new to Office and am working to create an office management software package with Access. Seems to me that in one of the newsletters I got from Woody he mentioned something about the data or the code that was created with the new version of Office, Microsoft had license to or some such thing. It is in the foggiest recess of my brain that I remember this comment, but it was significant enough for me to try and search through old issues to find, course I didn't or I wouldn't be posting this question. Can anyone tell me more about this?

Thanks in advance,

Xdrnit

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Creating Software with Access (Access 2000)

If you're taling about a license to distribute your application, you need the developers version of Office for that. If you're talking about something else, be a little more specific. If you have questions about Access or developing applications in it, post them to the Access board.
    Charlotte

Thanks

I think that if we still can, we should distinguish solutions internal to an .MDB, such as tables, queries, and VBA, from solutions involving licensed controls or the Access runtime that are distinct programs. I would be very surprised if I could not distribute a database freely with a standard license to Access or Office Professional. I also expect that I would be able to distribute an automated solution using VBA in a Word or Excel template to interact with my database. Such solutions would require the DAO or ADO libraries, and the Jet engine, and would run just fine in the absence of Access or Office Pro. These methods are not necessarily ideal, but they are options that don't require developer tools. And I hope they're still legal in XP.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

But in fact, you can only be sure that the appropriate libraries exist and are registered on the target machines if you create a setup to include them or is you personnally sit down an manually register each library. If you simply distribute ADO or DAO libraries, they still have to be registered on the target machine, and without a setup that insures you've included the necessary files and takes all the dependencies into consideration AND includes the Windows installer to set them up, there is no guarantee that your solution will run or that you won't break something on the target machine in the process of installing it.

Certainly you can give someone templates to interact with a database on their machine. However, if runtime engines are required, either VB or Access, you need VB Pro or Office Developer or Visual Studio to have a license to distribute those components.
    Charlotte