2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Incomplete shutdown (Outlook 2000)

I'm running Win98SE and Outlook 2000. Sometimes (often but not always) when I shutdown Outlook it appears to shut down properly but leaves some kind of stub running in memory. I have continuous internet access and it continues to download my email. Task manager shows outlook.exe to be still running.

If this was something I could select to do, it might be a good thing but I don't like it happening without my knowledge. Is this a known issue and can it be controlled without my using task manager each time?
    -----Paul-----

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Incomplete shutdown (Outlook 2000)

Do you have WinFax or such running?
    This will keep Outlook running in the background.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No. At least, not Winfax. I have a load of stuff running in the background. But it's always running and the problem only happens occasionally.

Nice signature.

Thanks

Take a look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=out&Number=59100&page=&view =&sb=&o=&fpart=all&vc=1>this thread</A>. It might not solve the problem, but know that you are not alone.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fascinating. Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just looked at your pointer, and saw that it was to an old thread I started... Just as an update, I still have not found any easy way to tell Outlook to completely shut down, other than closing the program and then using the 'three finger salute' to close down the remaining stub.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Those that are having this problem, provide us a LIST of ALL items running, i.e., listed in the taskmaster. This will give us idea as to what may be doing this to you. In ALL cases that I have run in to this, it has been another program running in the back ground that has hooks in to Outlook and is keeping it running. WinFax is the most common program, but not the only one. There is NO setting on Outlook that will turn this on or off, it is the hooks of another program that is doing it.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to knowing what else is running - remember that it can take up to 30 min for outlook to completely close. It generally happens within 5 min, but it does some cleaning up which on occassion will take longer. This means if you hit the x to close it and immediately do a CAD, yes, it will still be running. Wait 5 min - chances are it will be gone. IMO mode closes faster than corp mode.

Also - if you are using word as the editor and are working in a document, outlook may still be hooked into word. (This is most often the cause of outlook taking up to 30 min to close down.) if you close word after closing outlook, outlook should disappear from CAD.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Now that some of you do NOT want Outlook running all the time, my wife has upgraded to Office 2002 on Windows XP Pro and she wants this action turned on. She had Winfax running on the earlier versions and does not have a requirement for a fax any longer. We do not want to up grade the WinFax program just for this.

She has a cable connection, 800mhertz processor, 512 megs of ram, 16 gig and 60 gig hard drives, on a 4 computer p2p network.