Star Lounger
    Thanks

Validate befor closing Access (97sr2)

Is there a way to either:
    Remove the ' x ' (close) button on the Access bar (to force users to use a command button)? or...test that there are no null fields before allowing the closing of Access? Thanks in advance

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Validate befor closing Access (97sr2)

There are several ways. If you do a Lounge Search, you'll find numerous discussions on this question.

First, though, you need to decide whether you want to keep the database from closing, you want to keep a form from closing, you want to dump an incomplete record, or what.

You also need to elaborate on what you mean by "null fields". Are these required fields that aren't filled in? If so, the record won't be saved if you've designed the table properly.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK. I have a form with a start button that logs the system time then minimizes the form. I then need to make sure the user does not close Access, but minimizes to the taskbar, which is why I would like to get rid of the application 'x' close button. Also....I know a long time ago I saw a way to show the user name in the taskbar....but I can't remember where...any suggestions?? Thanks,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, if you put the username in the apptitle of the application, that's what you'll see in the taskbar. That might solve your second problem. Have you done a Lounge Search for answers on the first problem?
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes...A simple line of VBA ( DoCmd.RunCommand (acCmdAppMinimize)) did the trick. i needed to avoid the possibility of a user closing the app by mistake....as far as the 'user name' issue, I cannot name the app after them because it is a multi-user dbase (100+ users a day) in a network environment. I'll keep looking (R&D sounds more impressive !! Charlotte, Thanks for all the help, again! You are much appreciated, as well as all the other pros that are here for each other...DP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You could set the user name in the title bar at run time.
    In the on open event of the first form the application opens set this:
    <pre>CurrentDb.Properties("apptitle") = CurrentUser()</pre>

Francois

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Francois, I am getting a "Property Not Found" error. Is there a way around this.....Thanks in advance, DP

Thanks

Hi,
    If you haven't previously set an AppTitle, then this property does not exist. You either need to set it to something and then change it with your code, or you need your code to check if it exists and if not, create a new property and append it to the database's properties collection.
    I don't think this will actually do what you want though - because it's a startup option, the value is only checked at startup. If you change it in code once the database has started, it will not take effect until the next time the database is opened.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Rory, I do have the app title set in the database properties. The scenario is that some users will have this open on thier own workstations, but some departments will have a few employees but only 1 pc, and will therefore have multiple instances of the same dbase open and minimized. I want them to be able to see thier name in the title on the taskbar, so when they complete a task they can easily open the instance they are working with, and complete the data entry for themselves....Thanks, Dp

Thanks

If you've already set it once, then the property must exist. Have you checked spelling etc. to ensure that that's OK and also that you set it under Tools-Startup (I think that's where it was in 97) rather than under Database Properties? I was also being dumb earlier - you can use application.refreshtitlebar to make the change immediately take effect.
    Hope that helps.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel