Thread: Fonts

Lounger
    Thanks

Fonts

Hello all.
    I've just bought my daughter (a student) a second hand laptop, with W98 installed. Its only a P120 so is not the fastest thing out, but should be adequate.

She is only going to use it for word processing, and doesn't need many fonts. This thing has 104 installed and I wonder how badly that is affecting its performance.
    I have seen a tip (but can't recall the details), whereby all but the system and most essential fonts are installed in a separate folder, to be called on and installed when needed.

Can anyone advise me how to go about this? when I try to copy the contents of the fonts folder to another, I get an error message saying it can't move the first font, disc might be full. (It isn't)

TIA
    Jim

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Fonts

Jim, you shouldn't have any problem with that number of fonts. If you had some ungodly number, say, 500 of them, it would be more of an issue, but if performance is suffering for some reason I would doubt that fonts play much of a role. There are other things that you can do to boost performance - for example, adding RAM, which is super-cheap right now.

In Windows 98 the fonts will all be in the WINDOWSFONTS folder, which is a special system folder. If you want to remove them you need to either download a font management program or go the easy way and navigate to that folder in Windows Explorer and remove them from there.
    -Mark

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Fonts

What other programs are installed? Some of them may have added some of these fonts.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.