Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Specifying 'keywords' effectively (2000 SR1)

Having just got round to thinking about this matter, I have a number of questions about this, which don't appear to be answered in the FP 'Help' information, nor in my FP2000 book:

a) for best results for indexing by search engines, do the keywords need to be specified in every page, or will specification in just the Home Page be adequate, or even preferable? It surely cannot be the case that each individual page should have only the keywords appropriate to it alone?

[img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] should every possible combination of keywords be specified? For example, suppose the website or web page content related to training courses about social security benefits, should one specify the five key words together ("social security benefits training courses"), and/or each of the five words followed by a comma ("social, security, benefits, training, courses"), and/or appropriate pairs or triples or quads of words ("social security, benefits courses, training courses, social security benefits, social security benefits courses, social security training courses"), and/or all these combinations together?

c) If these courses took place only in the UK, would it be of any use to specify "UK" as an additional keyword?

d) Does the order of specification matter (such as the first-specified being the more important, for example)?

e) is it really necessary to "register" with search engines, or does one just presume that Google will find the information for itself? If the former, what's the best (free!) way of doing this?

Thanks!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Re: Specifying 'keywords' effectively (2000 SR1)

I haven't got an answer - but I've got a good resource <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/index.html>http://www.searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/index.html</A>

Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Thanks

Most of your answers should have been answered in the link Catherine gave you above and I would only add:

a) I would say it would depend on how varied the content is from page to page. From using search engines myself, I know the general content of a page can be used in the results, therefore it is important that a suitable Description tag is included in every page at least. (Not to mention a link back to the 'home' page if an obscure sub-page is linked to!)

c) Yes, I can't see it doing any harm and should be picked up if someone has specified UK in their search.

d) Not that I am aware of.

e) <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.google.com/webmasters/index.html>Google Information for Webmasters</A> should tell you how Google itself rates pages.

...and my offer for testing and creating META tags is <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.submitcorner.com/Guide/Meta/description.shtml>here</A>

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

As usual, thanks to you both for the information, which I am perusing.
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Leif - I tried the MetaTag Scanner, and all I learnt from it was that the maximum number of characters in "description" and "keywords" was 255! It seemed happy with what i had set up.

Ita, esto, quidcumque...