Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

How to search user & text

I need help with an advanced search; it may not be possible to do what I want.

I'll swear that someone posted a question about something, months ago. Parts of it stuck in my mind.

Let's suppose I believe that "kevin" posted a request for good examples of the use of "classes" in Word VBA.

I can go to the VB/VBA forum and search the message content for "class", but this could turn up a zillion posts.
    I can go to the VB/VBA forum and search the poster for "kevin", but this could turn up a zillion posts.

How can I go to the VB/VBA forum and search for "poster=kevin" AND "mentioned class objects within the text of the post"?

(Kevin, if you're reading this, it might not have been you; it might have been Gary or any other frequent poster. My request remains the same)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: How to search user & text

Hi Chris,

If the poster happened to be Kevin (or me for that matter), since both of us usually include our names in the signoff in the body of the message, you should be able to search for say: Kevin AND Class (words that go together, eh?).

BTW I recall a thread like that; I was a bit rusty on my class knowhow at the time so didn't contribute much. Since then though I've done some more work with classes (as has Kevin for that matter) so if you've got a "class"y question, post it again.

Gary

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How to search user & text

> usually include our names in the signoff in the body

Gary, thanks, and yes, this is true. Also true for anyone for whom one knows specific characteristics. For example, since I have problems typing words like "search" and "spreadsheet", you could search for "serach" and "speradsheet" and reduce the number of hits to MY posts quite significantly.

Unless someone comes up with an idea, I'll report this as a subject "Nice to have - search".

>BTW I recall a thread like that

Roughly mid-2001, I think.

There's another "nice to have" - specify a start and an end date in the serach.

> if you've got a "class"y question, post it again

So have I done some more work. I no sooner had completed my new "INI" functions, which I'm posting by drabs on VB/VBA than I realised that they would make a great example of Classes, so I'm now knee-deep (was neck-deep, and before that ankle-deep) in objects such as file-strings (the entire file of data is a collection of sections) and section strings (a section is a collection of key strings) and key strings (a key string is an identifier, an equals sign and a value). Rather fun.

I can now change the identifier of a key and leave its value intact!