Thread: Temporary Files

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Temporary Files

In Windows XP Pro when I try to delete a group of or sometimes even an individual *.tmp file I get an
    H Lewton

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Temporary Files

If you are wishing to remove these files using the Windows Explorer, I do not think that is a good idea. I would use cleanmgr.exe to delete unnecessary files. You can also delete temporary internet files with MS Internet Explorer if that is your choice for a browser.
    Phasr

Sonoran Desert

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phasr
    I think you have two things confused here. The advice you give would apply to files in the Temporary Internet Folder - but these are not what is meant by *.tmp files. These are litter, pure and simple, except in XP there are usually a couple in the Temp folder that cannot be deleted in the same session they were created. My two have names like ~DF1F36.tmp. There is no restriction on the way these may be deleted : if the system lets you, you can do it in safety.

Hi Harold :
    For an automated way to clear the Temp folder pop over to my website, click Index and download 'AutoCleaning Temp Files'
    You may choose a PDF or a DOC file.
    Your error message is quite likely to be down to your trying to delete the couple of needed files mentioned above. If there are more than two, it may be because they have somehow been tagged as 'Read Only'.

Rgds

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

you can only delete the ones left behind after the last boot - so if you use details view and delete the ones older than the last reboot, you can delete some. windows is still using the newer ones.

Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, I myself do not have a great deal of experience with direct deletion of files using Windows Explorer. For the removal of the *.tmp file that windows creates, I have always used cleanmgr.exe, and for the temporary internet files removal I have uses MSIE. One of the reasons I have chosen these two methods is because of a friend of mine who for some reason kept *directly* removing *.tmp files using Windows Explorer. after several months, he had to re-install his platform. He was, and is presently, running Windows ME. That was a lesson for me. I never could figure out why he did that, because he had a 40Gb HD, and used far less than half for his OS and all of his applications. He obviously didn't need the space on his HD that deleting those files provided. I guess he just felt compelled to be "tidy." I guess my point is that I take the middle of the road approach to almost everything, so by suggesting the methods to you which I did, I felt that I would not be placing your system in jeopardy. I hope someone can suggest to you a safe, sure way to accomplish your goal.
    Phasr

Sonoran Desert

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phasr
    There's nothing wrong with the middle of the road - except that if you take up that position, you'll get hit from both directions.
    From you last post, your friend's problem was unlikely to be anything to do with his deleting *.tmp files, and far more likely to do with his unfortunate choice of OS. ME is the pits, Windows-wise.
    As I said before, *.tmp files are almost invariablty litter. You can pick 'em up, or leave them where they lie if you don't need the HD space. I know which I prefer.

Rgds

Lounger
    Thanks

MerC, you could be right about my friends OS. I have heard a lot of not-so-good things about ME. Insofar as my middle of the road approach to life, I believe that I will remain where I am. I am certain about so few things in life, and, this is one of them. I got here by way of a lot of harsh experience going too far left or right in my younger days. It is just more comfortable where I am at this point in my life. I will also continue to handle my *.tmp file clean-ups as I stated, just as you will handle yours in your own way, and I will make suggestions to others which are as safe for them as I can allow. I do agree that a reasonable amount of housekeeping (or diskeeping) is in order, so I automatically run cleanmgr every morning to keep things reasonably tidy. Take care!
    Phasr

Sonoran Desert

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all who responded.

MerCurmudgeon your site is sure coming in very handy for me these last few days. Thanks.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

MerCurmudgeon,

Thanks, as usual you and your site were very helpful. I do have one question. When you say:
    3. Open up Notepad and type in these lines (without the REMs) :

@ECHO OFF

CD Cocuments and Settings{User Name}Local SettingsTemp
    del *.tmp REM : or del /q *.* (That
    H Lewton

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Harold
    I should have been more explicit. By 'REM' is meant the letters themselves, then everything after them on that line. I put them in as explanations, but they play no part in the functionality of the file.
    An instruction line should therefore be e.g.

del *.tmp

with nothing else on that line.

Rgds

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

MerCurmudgeon,

Thanks for you help again.

Sorry I didn
    H Lewton