New Lounger
    Thanks

File Search feature not right!?

I have encountered two problems using the "Search" feature of File Explorer. One is trying to mass delete files that are retrieved by the search criteria (<Ctrl+A to select all and then the <Del> key). I get error messages that indicate the files are inaccessible.

The other is when I try to find a Keyword that is DEFINITELY located in a Word doc that is in the folder I am searching. It does not generate a "hit" on the document.

In both cases, it is almost as if information is "cached" somewhere and the information gets stale and is not updated properly.

Has anyone else seen this? I can reproduce both issues at will.

RLCornish@cs.com

Thanks

Re: File Search feature not right!?

For "the other", try:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q309173>Using the "A Word or Phrase in the File" Search Criterion May Not Work (Q309173)</A>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q309447>Content Search Does Not Search All File Types for the Specified String (Q309447)</A>

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File Search feature not right!?

I looked at both articles you suggested, and while it did not directly apply (the file type I was searching was a Word document), it triggered a thought which turned out to be the issue.

I created text files from scratch (Visual Basic) and just appended a .doc file extension so that if I double-clicked them, Word would launch. Apparently, "Search" finds these ill-formed Word documents objectionable. I changed the file extension to .txt and all is now well.

Thanks,
    R