Thread: Disk Thrashing

New Lounger
    Thanks

Disk Thrashing

Even while my computer is sitting idle, my hard disk is very busy doing something for no apparent purpose. I understand that sometimes there is housekeeping to be done, but this has recently become quite constant. If I point my mouse at an icon in the taskbar, though, it temporarily stops. Have done a dirty OS reinstall, but no change. Is there a way to correct this without formatting my drive? Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks

Re: Disk Thrashing

When did you last do a defrag?
    Have you got any journalling enabled such as Findfast?
    Do you have any real-time virus scanning enabled?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Yes, I have Vshield by McAfee. I will try exiting to see if that makes any difference. Whether that is the cause, or not, I would like to ask additionally if this constant thrashing is wearing out my hard disk. I defragged a day ago (so a fragmented disk isn't the problem!), and usually only do it if I have massive deletions or installs to keep from wear and tear on the disk.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, even 10 minutes after exiting Vshield, the machine groans with constant activity. It greatly increases the response latency of my clicks, etc. I am sure there's not a virus, since I have done a virus scan, in addition to a scan disk and defrag. What could the problem be?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

..now try completely removing McAfee and its auto-update. (An identified culprit in this type of problem.) I won't say ditch it - last time I advised this, I was said to be sarcastic.

Rgds

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I was looking through this and noticed that Leif had asked whether or not you have FindFast installed. It's (unfortunately) installed by default with Office. And it does exactly what you describe - thrashes the hard drive incessantly.

If it's installed, you should find it in the control panel. Instructions on how to disable Find Fast can be found in the JSI tip <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBA/tip0400/rh0417.htm>JSI Tip 0417 - How to disable that leaky, resource stealing Find Fast</A>.

If you press CTRL+ALT+DEL, what is shown in the list of running tasks?
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Here's my Cntl+alt+del list: Explorer, Iamsetup, Ctfmon, Rundll, Cmgrdian, 4dmain (mouse), Alogserv, Systray, Cpdclnt, Mdm, Scinject, Tmouse, Rulaunch, Ocrawr32, Ocraware. Thanks for advising me if anything looks awry here. By the way, this is Windows ME. I know, I am on the wrong board. I hope you know ME. If you want, I'll start a post over there on the ME board. Otherwise, I deeply appreciate your help.