Thread: System Lockup

New Lounger
    Thanks

System Lockup

I am using a dual boot system with xp and 98. When I don't use the computer for half hour (xp) the computer locks and
    I have to power down and boot again. Under win 98 there is no problem. If I am using the system for a long time, there are no problems. Any suggestions?
    moss1

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System Lockup

Assuming you have each OS on seperate partitions, you might run msconfig to see what's loading upon startup. It may be that one of those is the culprit. If that's the case, you might see if there's an update to make it fully XP compatible. For instance system, disk, and antivirus, utilities that may be good up to Win2k are not generally good for WinXP, especially if they have progs that run in the background. (ex: don't run Norton 2001 on WinXP)

It's also possible you may have suffered a bogus install. It's rare, but it happens. Sometimes there are errors during the file copy process and setup will happily install corrupted files anyway.

Also, check to make sure you have the latest drivers for your hardware. Don't rely on Windows Update to do this. Check the hardware manufacturers' sites for their latest versions.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Right-click anywhere on the empty space on your Desktop and from pop-up menu choose Properties.
    On the next screen, click "Screen Saver" tab, and then "Power" button near the bottom under "Energy savings features of monitor."
    On the next screen, change settings on "Turn off monitor", "Turn off hard disks", and especially "System Standby" that bothers you to "Never".

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response. I have each OS on an individual h/d. I ran msconfig and the only files running are my printer..
    HP1115 xp ready and Norton 2002. I disabled Norton, with the same results. I also formatted the h/d and installed the system two different times........same results. What baffles me is that if I use the computer on and off over a long period of time, the thing works great. When you say "bogus install" do you mean my setup disc is corrupt or just that particular install? Thanks again
    moss

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks................I have been using these same settings that you suggest right along with the same results. As a matter of fact I tried changing these settings to see if it would make a difference. but it did not. I am going to beat this though.
    moss

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You say that this works fine under Windows 98 but not XP? That would strongly indicate that it has something to do with the hardware drivers. The XP method of dealing with hardware is substantially different than 98. It would be of great benefit to you to find out what brand and model of motherboard is in your computer, adn to check with the manufacturer for updated chipset drivers (VIA based motherboards are notorious boogers for this). I saw this mentioned but I didn't see where you had indicated that you have tried it.

The best way to isolate the problem is to disable all power management features and then re-enable them one at a time. For instance, turn it all off, then re-enable the monitor power-down. If you have no problems, then allow the hard drive to shut down. Still no problems, then allow the system to go into standby. When the lockups recur, you have found the faulty component.

For what it's worth, I am still not impressed by the power management abilities of 2000/XP; my hardware is certified by Microsoft and still has problems with standby and hibernation. It is usually the result of an Alchemist's brew of hardware drivers, and video drivers are next in line after the motherboard's.

I believe by "bogus install" what was meant was that during the install process everything appeared normal, but something went awry and undetected. It doesn't mean that your CD is junk.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

It took me a while but I eventually located the problem. I have an Actiontec internal call waiting modem installed
    and win xp istalled a driver for it automatically. It works like it is supposed to except it makes the machine lock up.
    A call to Actiontec told me they do not have a driver for win xp......as a matter of fact he said he was not even sure they were working on one. I thank everyone with the help.
    moss

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Moss -- how did you identify the problem as having to do with your modem and its driver? Just curious, because I've been having a lot of problems with my computer locking up.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dave....It took me a little bit of time but it was purely a process of elimination. I was using an Actiontec call waiting modem and there is no update for this modem using Win xp. I solved the problem by getting DSL internet. I suggest removing things one at a time. I don't know if this helped.........keep me posted.

New Lounger
    Thanks

One thing you should do before anything else is to update all drivers to be compatible with xp. This will certainly wreak
    havoc with your computer if you don't

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I understand what you are saying about updating all the drivers, but i'm a little queasy about doing that without being very careful, just because of the fact that my system has been screwed up twice to the point that I've had to reinstall Win XP both times. The first time, the same thing was happening, the system freezing up. Now, after I've installed the second time (I think I'm ok on this reinstall), I just want to be very careful as to how I upgrade the drivers and also install the windows XP updates. Any suggestions?????

New Lounger
    Thanks

If you did a clean install(format the hard drive first)that is a good start. That way you know there are no broken files or anything to interfere with the setup. It takes time but it is a good way to start. The key is that you have to get any updated drivers from the manufacturer of all the different gizmos(burners, modems,dvd,cdrom,etc.) in order to meet compatibility with XP. Windows itself contains updates for some manufacturer's products, but to be sure, go to each website and search for updated drivers for Win XP. Pain in the neck but must do situation. XP functions differently than
    98(dos based). It needs different drivers. If you don't do this and run with 98 drivers you are asking for trouble. Been there. It is very frustrating. Also, save any new drivers you get on cd if you can......will save a lot of time in the event you have to go through this again. But first and foremost do not install anything unless you know you can get an updated driver or you will be in the same boat all over again. Compatabilty is what XP is all about. You also have to be careful with programs.....some things tha I have do not work with XP. For this reason I am using a dual boot system with 98 on the other side. Stay away for Win Me. I hope this helps...........I have traveled the road you are on and only because I enjoy messing around with my machine I am not going to use this thing for an anchor for my boat. Let me know how you make out.
    moss

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cross your fingers...I think I finally figured out why my system has been locking up. My hunch is that the new nVidia Detonator driver that I installed was the culprit. It wasn't a "signed" driver, and windows did warn me about installing an unsigned driver, but I just went ahead anyway. My system has now been "lockup free" since last night, and hopefully will remain that way. Lessons are always learned the hard way!

Thanks for your help, Moss!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just an update from the last time I posted on this issue...

My system has remained 'Lockup free' for about a week and a half.! It seems like the nVidia driver was the culprit, indeed.