New Lounger
    Thanks

Its All about XP

I have 2 questions about XP

1. Why the hell is the install over 2gig for XP/Pro? Is this the standard?

2. I copied the entire XP/Pro CD to the C: before running the install (it's only 450mb) to quicken the setup of XP (it was a fresh install, not an upgrade) once XP finished (a sweeter trouble free install I have never had!) I logged on to the PC and noticed there is no My Computer Icon on the desktop (the only Icon is the recycle bin- the desktop is a bit too clean) but as soon as i located the My Computer icon and clicked on the C: drive (root drive) the setup for XP came up, I deleted autorun that was in the root directory but then when I clicked on the C: drive an error message came up looking for the deleted file and did not open the drive to view the files/ folders.. Wierd.. What have I done wrong? Is the XP Desktop realy that sparce?

Thanks

BTW... Win 98 is the greatest OS ever!!! -in my op.... SWEEET!!!!!!!!!!!

to all you upgraders out there...IF it AINT broke DONT fix IT!!!!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Its All about XP

1) Because it's a huge operating system with lots of code. Not a big deal these days, really, when the smallest hard drive you can buy is around 20GB.

2) Yes, the desktop is really that sparse. You don't have a "My Computer" icon because of the new start menu. If you turn that off and go back to the older style, called "classic" now, you will have the icon on your desktop. My personal preference is for the "classic" menu but I'm set in my ways. Give the new menu style a shot and see what you think. It's very flexible and customizable.
    -Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Its All about XP

You got exactly what you asked your computer to do. Sice you copied everything from your installation CD to your C: root, your C: drive became your installation CD to your computer! Windows XP has "Auto Play" feature to open CDs by default, so your C: drive also now.
    Workaround is: right-click an icon that represents your C: drive and from pop-up menu choose "Open" or "Explore" (you can see also AutoPlay in bold - that means it is default).
    Next time copy istallation files into the folder, better on another partition (drive).