Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Need Legal Pleading Template help ASAP!!!! (Word 2002/XP)

Have you looked at the Wizards that come with OFFICE?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/rules.pl?Cat=>See Rule #10</A>
    Do not make Private requests
    Please keep your questions and answers on the open boards. We discourage sending or asking for replies via email or Private Message. This defeats the purpose of the Lounge which is designed to share information as widely as possible. If you are worried you will miss any replies, check the box to receive email notifification. You can also set this globally in the Email/Subscriptions section of your Profile.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

Terribly sorry for breaking the rules. I joined and posted quickly out of desperation so I was unaware of your policy. I will post in the other section. Yes, I tried the wizards. They will not allow me to put the Caption in the lower left like the firm wants. I can put a text box there but when someone starts to type into the document it pushes the caption down with every carriage return.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Try putting a textbox or frame into the footer, then enter your caption text there. This should permit you to set it to a specific location and also have it repeat automatically on new pages.

If you do have to put a textbox onto the page itself, double-click on its border and look at the options you get - there should be an option to set it so it doesn't move (where you find this option will vary depending on which version of Word you are using - in Word 2000 you go to the Layout tab and then click on Advanced. Turn off the checkmark next to "Move Object with Text").

But the footer would be the best way to go.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Gary, I will try your ideas tomorrow. I need this done by the end of the week. This is not my field of expertise but it seems like more and more a good idea for me to get MOUS certified since I am already MCP and working on my MCSE. I just took 50 people from DOS terminals to W2K with mouse and color monitors. They had the old orange and black screens and all keyboard and WordPerfect version 5 for DOS. My task has been daunting! Thanks a million and if anyone else thinks of anything...please post it here so I can try it.
    By the way........Woody......great books man! I bought your Using Office XP and I am loving it. Loks like Using Word 2002 will be next............lol

Lounger
    Thanks

Need Legal Pleading Template help ASAP!!!! (Word 2002/XP)

I am a network consultant that knows some Office 200 and XP. I have been tasked with creating a legal pleading template for a law firm.
    The Pleading Wizard only gets me so far.
    They want as follows...2 vertical lines on the left 1.58 inches from the left and a single vertical line .4 inches from the right.
    About 1 1/2 inches from the bottom of the page on the left side of the double vertical lines they want a caption on every page that says "law offices of blah blah, blah city, New Jersey" this should be centered and about 5 pitch times new roman.
    I can get the wizard pretty far, I get the vertical lines just right but what I cannot do is get the "caption" to stay where I put it. If I type and hit Enter, the caption moves down a line until it is on the second page. I have tried using a text box and a table but I am not a word pro.
    The second page and all pages following should have the vertical lines, be numbered and should have that caption in the lower left corner.
    How can I get this done? I only have a few days. I want to look good so I get more work from this place. Thanks for any and all help. E-mail me at Edited to remove E-mail address if you need any further details.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We have a lot of law firm people here, both support side and timekeepers, who should be able to help you out. However, your firm may want to seriously consider a third-party package created specifically for the legal community, and there are companys which specialize in customizing to meet your needs. They can be pricey, but when you consider that law firms are in the business of selling documents, and the efficiency which can be derived from a properly structured add-in, they do pay for themselves.

Those which I've looked at and in the order of my preferences (and they all have their ups and downs): WordTricks; Softwise Macrosuite (good product, poor support).

Good luck!
    Karen

Thanks

Attached is a basic template.

IMO you would also want some solid numbering styles in the pleading, which are not here. However, the picture you described is there for you to play with. It goes in the headers or footers. Numbering would go into a text box also in the headers or footers. Note, though, that line numbering and Word are a poor match. You may need to copy styles from a pleading prepared using the pleading wizard to get something useful.

If you want help, I would have about 5 hours available to work on such a project between now and Friday but would charge a lot. (I am an attorney.) You may be able to get better help for less.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If some of the good advice in this thread does not solve your problem, try looking
    in Microsoft Word 2002 for Law Firms available at any Borders or Barnes and"
    Noble--this might satisfy your time deadline and it's pretty thorough. I am working
    my way through it myself--and apologize I can't just knock your question out of
    the park. The book is by Payne Consulting Group and the ISBN 97615394X
    and it's available for order at 916-787-7000. I know this is more a librarian's
    answer than a hands on fix--but I feel sure this book or Camarada's Que book
    on Word or MS Press' Word Inside Out --possibly Woody's book on Office could
    nail this problem. If you live in any large city any bookstore should have these books.

defrag