3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hire a Guru? (Office 2000 Sr1a)

This is just a general question about getting paid help to design and implement a website based data management system for my small business (vacation rental properties). I have some skills in Access, VBA, and website design. I want to be able to put all the main functions of the business on a database (access or SQL server) driven website such as, live calendar of availability, booking, request for information forms, etc and make this available to a set of authorised users. What is my question?
    I can do the work of putting this all together but just need someone expert to draw up a plan of attack with clearly worked out steps. We can't afford a full blown programmer to do it for us but some simple an effective consulting might be in our budget.
    Where would I go to find such a person?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hire a Guru? (Office 2000 Sr1a)

There are companies that provide contract employees on an hourly basis to do work like that. TekSystems is one I know of, but you can locate others in the yellow pages or the classified section of your local newspaper.

If you know a qualified consultant or know someone who can recommend one, fine. If not, be careful. There are a lot of self-designated Access/VBA/Web developers out there who think that knowing how to use a wizard makes them an expert. I cleaned up behind some of them, and the cost to the company that used them was outrageous ... in addition to the cost for my time.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Charlotte. I am by no means up to your level with Access or VBA etc but, in spite of this, have yet to meet or hear of anyone locally who knows as much as I do!
    As far as I can ascertain, actual customizations of Office software and/or Access are big news to most people I speak to here in Melbourne.
    Hence I heed your advice and don't particularly want to tread the local "Yellow pages" path. I was hoping someone might volunteer themselves for a reasonable rate (collaborating over the internet)
    I just want a ground plan drawn up without much detail
    from someone who more experience than I. I can take it from there.
    For example: all this talk about integrating Outlook's calendar with a database leaves me a bit cold.
    I want a WALL PLANNER - like the ones you see in every stationery shop - but such a beast seems to be beyond the ken of Outlook. How weird is that?
    Businesses use planners all the time!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If the outside help does any coding then
    1) Do you have (a copy of) the source code
    2) Do you OWN the source code (not to be confused with 1 above)

Can you see examples of their work?
    Can they supply reference from other customers of theirs (preferably in similar field)?

What defines a success from your side.

Maybe also have a small task and see how well the 'outsider' can do it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks but I have no intention that the outside help should do any coding so both (1) and (2) don't really apply.
    I would like the 'outside help' to sketch out a Plan of Action.
    Your last remark is interesting though: see how well the 'expert' can solve a simple question.
    If the answer is elegant then we're really talking!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Points 1 and 2 may not apply but I would be suspicious of anyone who wouldn't supply you source code or that you wouldn't let you own it (after all you are paying for it) unless there were good reasons such as part coming from a third party.