New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Xp (Win XP) so slow with Exchange 5.5 (Outlook XP in Win XP Exchna

I installed Outlook XP on Windows XP Pro. I got it all working fine with the Exchange 5.5 server at work. I took the computer home where I am hooked up with cable modem. It is incredibly slow when I am linking to the Exchange 5.5 server and the pop mail server at work. Now this connection is not particularly swift but the XP combination is incredibly slow. I have my laptop at home (500mhz celeron, win 98, outlook 2000) and it is done in a few minutes while XP is waiting and waiting. Similar network connections in both machines. I upped the timeouts in OUtlook XP so it doesn't time out but my students who are doing the same thing say they can't connect from home. They can but it is so slow that is a moot point. Any ideas? (Maybe this is posted somewhere else but I couldn't find it with a few searches).

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Xp (Win XP) so slow with Exchange 5.5 (Outlook XP in Win XP Ex

are you using zone alarm or a similar firewall?
    do you have a hosts file listing the server?
    what is the reponse time for pings from both machines? (the laptop compared to winxp)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm inclined to go down the same road as MaryJ (in great company!). Sounds like some kind of networking issue. Hosts file, DNS, etc. You might try using the IP address in place of the server name, as a quick test, as well as checking the ping times.

New Lounger
    Thanks

At home, I have a Windows NT Workstation as a router with the XP box and the LapTop connected to the router (at the same time) through a 10 mbps hub. I can't ping the Exchange server, (they block pinging). No firewalls on either machine. No "hosts file" on either. Should I set one up and if so how? (ps the XP is a 1 ghz with 256 mb ram, the laptop if a 500 mhz celeron win 98 with 128 mb ram)