5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Clean start with Office 2000

I am preparing to upgrade to Windows 2000 and will do on a new HD. I plan to leave my current HD in my system as drive D, and install W2K on new C, and then reinstall Office 2000 on C along with all the other applications I use. I then will copy my data folders and files to my new C drive. What are the files that I should copy to my new HD that contain the custom settings that I have created for Word and Excel and other office apps? Custom.dic and templates I have created are two obvious ones that come to mind. But what about items I have added to Autocorrect, etc. I also modified a macro (thanks to WOW, I can't remember which issue) that corrects some of the flaws in Insert Address button. Does anyone know which issue contained that tip?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Clean start with Office 2000

Hi Jim,

I'm not sure about your custom dictionaries and autocorrect entries, but one thing that has helped me through many rebuilds is the Office Resourse Kit utility. This has allowed me to save my settings for EVERYTHING in office - toolbars, preferences, even the infamous Office Assistant.
    After downloading and installing these tools, just run the Office Profile Wizard. It will save your settings locally into an OPS file (different from the internet-based Save Settings feature Microsoft pushed through the OfficeUpdate website). It will also give you the information you need to have these settings added to your new install of Office 2000 on your new system.

An additional note: I've used the Custom Install Wizard quite a few times and it REALLY makes re-installing a breeze!! It allows you to save all of your install preferences so that future installs can be completely automated. It's worked great for me.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Here's the link to the ORK toolkit (it's 8.9 MB):
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2000/d...ad/ORKTools.exe

HTH[img]/w3timages/icons/thinks.gif[/img]
    -MarkJ-

Thanks

Move AutoCorrect Entries (was Re: Clean start with

I created the attached template to move my AutoCorrect entries when I migrated from Word97 to Word2000. You run it first in 97, save the document, then run it again in 2000. At least that's the way I remember it. Liberal backups are probably in order.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mihnista

Microsoft supply a template with Word 97 which moves autocorrect entries.
    Here is the knowledge base article:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q186/2/37.ASP>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q186/2/37.ASP</A>

I used it to help half a dozen customers migrate from 97 to 2000, with no problems at all.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

it's in the support?.dot template - where ? is the versionof office you are using. if not installed on the drive, it's on the cd.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

... and I downloaded the attached template that seems to get the job done well. It is designed to back up (and restore) the entries, so it would seem to fit your purpose. Since the entries are stored in an intemediary document, it serves the back up purpose, and the ability to restore to different and multiple installations.

I am not the author, and the document contains no authorship credits in its instructions.
    Attached Files Attached Files