Wild_Bill

Re: File Management-Q vs M

You're asking for experiences and opinions.

Well I've used various versions of both products over the years. I started with a German version of Money95 which came bundled with my PC in 1996. It did the basic accounting OK but had some extremely annoying quirky things that made me go straight to Quicken98 when I moved to the US. I used Q98 and Q99 and was pleased with both and especially pleased with TurboTax. If there was a major annoyance, it was that Quicken only remembers transaction details entered manually. Money also remembered those from downloads.

On coming to the UK last year I was disappointed about how quickly my US edition of Quicken became unusable. So I paid my money and got Quicken2000 for the UK. I was very disappointed. It was like going back two editions. It's not great on stock price look-ups.

The final crunch was when I tried to obtain a TurboTax to complete my US tax return for 2000. Intuit UK acted as if they were a completely different company and couldn't even give a telephone number in the US for support. The US company only allows you to download or use their Web based version if you have a US address. Well if they don't want my custom, they ain't gonna get it.

Well, seeing what great strides MS have made going from W95 to W2K, and from Office95 to Office 2000, I was definitely thinking of trying out Money2001 in the near future.

So that's my experiences and opinions.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I too have bee very frustrated with Quicken, and particularly their lack of any hint of customer support. I have thought about switching to MS Money, but I have not done so for ane main reason. That is that Microsoft has introduced the latest version of Copy Protection known as the Registration Wizard. I refuse to install any product on my system that has copy protection included, not because I make copies that I do not pay for but because I don't want products that might stop working because the software thinks it has been copied. Since it looks like Microsoft is going to move ahead with this disaster, I don't see investing the large amount of time it would take me to convert my Quicken database to MS Money when I just might have to convert it back because they add the Registration Wizard to MS Money. I am probably on my last version of MS Office and am looking for what I will use when Office 2000 is no longer what I need.
    Legare Coleman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I started with Quicken some years ago and hated it, so I switched to Money. I'm up to Money 2000, and it is bar far the best of the versions I've used. The provision for on-line banking is superb. All I have to do is make sure I've got a live connection to the internet and it will automatically download any available transactions from the accounts I've set up for on-line transactions.

I don't have any particular aversion to the Registration Wizard, although I don't register that way, so I'm satisfied with it.
    Charlotte

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you "don't register that way," then you don't have the Registration Wizard. The Registration Wizard will not allow you to use the software until you have used it to register. I do not object to software that gives me the option of registering online. I do object to software that refuses to run without my providing personal information to the vendor.
    Legare Coleman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In that case, Office 2000 doesn't have it either, since I don't recall seeing anything like that on any of my installations. Unless, of course, I am misunderstanding what you're describing.
    Charlotte

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Only some of Office 2000 packages had the Registration Wizard. I think all of the ones sold in Australia had it. In the USA, all of the "Education" edition (the edition sold to students and teachers) had it, and I think most of the SR2 CDs had it. So, it depends on where and which edition you have as to if you do or do not have it. I have heard that all Office XP versions will have it. If so, I will never have XP.
    Legare Coleman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That explains it--I don't have SR-2 installed. And yes, I imagine that Office 10 will have it, since that is intended to be a subscription based license.
    Charlotte

dearnold

File Management-Q vs M (Quicken/Money)

I'm a long time user of Quicken (way back to DOS days), and I have an aversion to switching vendors unless I'm really frustrated. But, the latest two versions (2000 and 2001) are buggy, full of barely useful "wizards", "advisors", etc that clutter up the screens. Anyone use MONEY? have any strong feelings?
    My office (SOHO - I'm a director/consultant) is upgraded to Q2001 Deluxe - seems to work OK as long as you turn off or ignore the extra stuff on the screen.
    Does anyone know where the file is for reminders? It apparently resides in a separate file from the actual account/category data. I travel a lot and am constantly copying data files between my desktop and laptop. But the reminders don't follow along.
    There is no way to synchronize data files, so you always have to be very careful not to enter a transaction before you've copied over the version from "on the road".
    What about the file set for Money? Can you synchronize data files to stay updated instead of copying over?