Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Restrict monitor refresh rate

I have just upgraded a PC from Windows98 to Windows XP. Sometime when I have the time I will do a clean install, but I don't have time at the moment.

The display properties shows that 120Herz refresh rate is supported, but if I choose this then my monitor just shows a message indicating that the input is out of range.

When trying to run some games I also get this same message, implying that they have reset the refresh rate to something that seems valid to them. dxdiag shows that DirectX is installed and configured correctly. One of the failing games is Civilisation III, which claims to support Windows XP.

XP doesn't have the same Change button on the Display Properties Monitor screen as other versions of Windows. Where/How can I modify the list of valid refresh rates for my monitor.

StuartR

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Restrict monitor refresh rate

Hi
    It should be under Properties/Settings/Advanced/Monitor. It's needed because you should not run your monitor (or attempt to) at a refresh rate it can't handle. If available, select 'Hide Unsupported Modes.
    You may also be able to make adjustments under Adapter/List all Modes. Also look in Device Manager to see if, under Monitors, the correct drivers for your model are installed.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Just to follow up on what Merc already pointed out, a refresh rate above 85Hz really is overkill anyway. A minimum of 75Hz will reduce eyestrain and noticeable flicker. Also, the higher the resolution, the lower the refresh rate can be set - at least in most cases.

Is the check box ticked that reads "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display"? And lastly, make sure that both the adapter and monitor types are what you have on your system - an incorrect monitor driver may allow it to work nicely but lie about refresh rates.
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

My problem is knowing how to change the monitor type. On previous versions of Windows there was a "Change" button on the monitor tab of the display settings. On this system there is not, I have an update driver button, but I can't find any XP monitor drivers anywhere on the web - for example the web site at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.driversplanet.com/>http://www.driversplanet.com/</A> has dozens of monitor drivers that specify Windows 9x/NT/2000. I also tried using the add hardware wizard to add a more appropriate monitor, but it doesn't seem to list any monitors that I can find.

My monitor shows up as "Default Monitor" and the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" button is greyed out.

If anyone knows how to change the monitor type then please tell me.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

My Dell did the same thing. They sent me a cd for my monitor. I loaded the info from it and it changed the type to it and enabled the hide button

Tom

New Lounger
    Thanks

You can still change it like before from the change driver button in properties. You can let it try to find a better driver or if you have a floppy or cd with monitor info on it you can choose it using that.

Tom

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Oh! I didn't understand that from your first post.

If you have a Windows keyboard, hold down the WinKey (with the little flag) and press PAUSE/BREAK. Alternately reight click on mMy Computer or navigate to the System tab in the Control Panel. Click on Hardware and then go to Device Manager. Expand the Monitors section by clicking on the plus and you should be able to update the driver from there.
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I've found the update driver button. All I need now is a Windows XP driver for my ancient 21" Digital PCXAV-WZ monitor, I believe that it is based on a Samsung monitor, but I can't find drivers for either.

Alternatively some way of editing the information about supported monitor refresh rates.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's back.

I have now done a clean install of Windows XP on this same system and I am still looking for a way to tell windows that my "default monitor" can't manage 120Hz refresh rate. Everything works fine when I configure it myself, but I have some DirectX games that put the monitor into a mode that it can't display.

I have tried Start > Run > dxdiag > More Help > Override DirectDraw refresh rate > and used a sensible number, but this makes no difference.

From Display > Properties > Advanced > Monitor the button to hide modes that this monitor doesn't support is greyed out for my "default monitor".
    Does anyone know where to find INF files for a monitor on XP that I can edit to define what my one supports.

StuartR