4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Justification or straight margins Notepad Wordpad (Office XP 2002)

I would appreciate a resolution to this problem that has dogged me
    for a few months. It is convenient because of quick loading and simplicity to
    whip off a memo in NotePad or Wordpad or to paste some language from
    a website into them for future retrieval. When I type the memo, it looks
    fine. However, when I print it I get a regular line, then the next line is 2 or
    three words alternated with a regular line then two or three words. It looks
    ridiculous when it prints. This is how it looks graphically:
    I was told that these are not "scalable" and that I should try sizing the window
    down to between 50-52 characters wide and this would solve my problem. I tried this
    and it did nothing to fix the problem. I still get this ridiculous zig zag printout which is
    embarassing to fax, send or show someone. It looks like I don't know what I'm doing
    and that's exactly like I've asked for help. I have tried the books and can't seem to fix
    this . I have tried "word wrap" on (it seemed it would help) and off and this has no inpact.
    Of course configuring as landscape or the other mode does nothing to help.
    There must be a simple fix I'm not finding.
    Thanks much in advance if you can show me how to fix this.
    ddram

Thanks

Re: Justification or straight margins Notepad Wordpad (Office XP 2002)

In Notepad, you have just a minimal amount of control. I currently use Windows 2000, so this might be slightly different than Windows 98.

(1) Change the default font to a TrueType font at a smaller size (e.g., Courier New 10 Point) under Format, Font... Windows and the printer could be disagreeing about a system font.

(2) To clean up word wrapping, manually toggle it off and then back on under Format, Word Wrap

Hope this helps.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Defrag:

First of all, when you paste something from a website, you get linebreaks or paragraph marks. Notepad & Wordpad don't have features for removing them.

You might try some other Notepad substitute. I've been using MetaPad which I got some time ago over <A target="_blank" HREF=http://welcome.to/metapad/>here</A>. You might also search the software forum for threads that contain EditPad.

With Metapad, I can remove all the excess paragraph marks & unwrap lines so that it prints more normally. Never cared for Notepad anyhow.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to both jscher and Phil for the prompt help. I'll look into Metapad. I'm relatively new
    but enthusiastic and want to become reasonably decent using Office and Windows and
    then other OS's. I will look into Metapad--I never thought about other applications--I should
    have. In the books much is written about Word, but relatively little about the other two
    included apps.
    In a quick test, jscher's font change seems to work perfectly. I am going to try it
    in Wordpad--not that I have to use that but I want to see what happens. I also am
    trying to understand the signifcance of "Word Wrap." Is it to accomodate text tailoring
    itself around art and schematics/and objects? I don't know much about Visio yet
    but I imagine there are a number of elaborate things you can do putting words around
    the charts. Do I understand Word Wrap correctly? Does it matter if I leave it off or on? I have
    it on now. I wonder if it is because the font I was using conflicts--I always like to understand
    why something works or doesn't. I didn't have to modify Word Wrap--and I'm using Office
    XP--Word 2002. Thanks very much for the apparent fix and cluing me into Metapad.

defrag

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Courier 10 works like a charm without regard to Word Wrap although I'll experiment to see what
    happens. Now I need to learn what a True Type font is and I wonder which of the fonts works
    and why the smaller one works. I'll read up. Thanks again. Do you know why this works--
    I kept looking for the pull down to enable or disable and there weren't a lot of them and it
    wouldn't have helped. Is there a rule about fonts I can take from this? The size or the True Type?
    Thanks
    defrag

Thanks

TrueType fonts are easy to identify in Word in the drop-down box because they have a TT icon. I suggest them because if Windows is not certain that the printer will understand the font, it will download it. As a result, the fidelity of screen and print-out is as good as Windows gets.

In the case of the fixed-width fonts, "Courier New" is the truetype version. For sans serif, Arial is Microsoft's version of Helvetica, and for standard text, Times New Roman is the counterpart of Times Roman or Times.

Word wrap simply refers to screen appearance. I noticed that if I edited a document saved in a wrapped state, it did not automatically re-wrap, but toggling word wrap off and on fixes that.

Anyway, although its capabilities can be overkill and its AutoFormat As You Type features are deeply annoying at times (I turn them off), Word is your best editor, particularly if you need to do sophisticated find and replace operations, or need to navigate through the document in chunks. There are more steps involved in forcing Word to behave as a simple text editor, but in many cases, it is worth it.