couchman

Peer to peer networking windows 2k

Dave, thanks you solved on problem, your suggestion got rid of the password windows. All I can get to when I am on the 98se computer and click on the 2k computer is the printer.
    Mary J. the 2k computer is the ICS host and has the printer. Thanks Bob

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Peer to peer networking windows 2k

This will get you back to the origanal thread
    http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.p...b=5&part=1&vc=1

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have a similar setup, with a Win2k computer as ics host and a Win98 computer as client. I left the Guest account disabled, because it seems to be less secure, and simply set up the same users and passwords on both computers. I have no trouble accessing either computer from the other, either files or printers. There are two glitches, however, and perhaps someone could tell me if this is just the way things are supposed to be or if there are fixes. First, I have to start the Win98 computer first, then the Win2k. If I start the Win2k computer first, the Win98 client doesn't show up in My Network Places. In fact, the Win2k can't even find the workgroup. However, if I type full path to a file on the W98 computer, the 2k computer can open it.

Second, occasionally my Win2k computer loses its internet connection (DSL). It has, of course, two ethernet cards, and it's as if the computer gets confused about which of the two directions to send its packets. I can reestablish connection in 2 ways: reboot, or (the quicker way) establish a dialup connection, open the browser, close the browser, then disconnect the dialup connection and reopen the browser. I have been told that this is a bug in Microsoft ICS. Does anyone know about this?

Fafner

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

the client machine (win98) needs booted before the host (win2k) for win2k to see it? it seems backwards, since ICS is providing the IP and typically the ICS machine needs to give out the IPs or the machines make up their own in the 169 range.

That was the only problem i ever had when i used ics. I've since switched to a router so both machines (ok, i'm up to 4 now) can access the interent independant of the host.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, the client win98 machine has to be booted first. If the win2k machine is started first, it has to be rebooted after the win98 client starts for it to be able to see the client. I have noted that when the Win2k machine is booted after the client win98, immediately before the login dialog box appears, a message box says "Establishing network connections." But if the Win2k is started first, this message box does not appear.

Fafner