2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Import from dBase IV

I need to import a database from dBase IV to Access 97. The person who created the DB used only one field for name. Is there a way that I can globally move the last name to a new LName field? I don't know VBA and am not a developer, but have worked with Access. <font color=blue> Please </font color=blue> be as specific as possible in your answer so that I can follow the directions.
    I am grateful for any directions that you can supply.
    [img]/w3timages/icons/kiss.gif[/img]
    LibbieL

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Import from dBase IV

If you can link your dBase table to you Access database, you will be able to run a query against the dbase table and use that to append the dBase records to an Access table. It's hard to be specific when you haven't provided much information about the field in question except that it is all in one field. I assume you want to break it out into last name and first name, but how you do it depends on how the data exists in the source table. Is it last name and then first name separated by a comma and space? Is it first name and then last name separated by a space? Are there ever more than two names (i.e., middle name or initial, courtesy titles like Mr or Mrs, titles like M.D.)? Once you answer those questions, someone will be able to help you with your query.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte, I will know more when I meet with the person having the trouble. All I got was a description over the phone. Then I will list the answers to your questions and need your help. Is it better to link the Dbase table to the Access table? There is no table in access. SHould I create one? I was under the impression that if
    I imported the Dbase table into Access, a new table would be created automatically. As you can tell, I am new at this. Most of my Access experience has been creating new queries for info and creating reports. I am definitely self-taught!! Thanks again. Libbie
    LibbieL

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You might want to check out the Access Help file - the following is in response to the question (in Access 2000) 'Import data or attach tables':
    Reasons to import data into a table
    If you know that you will use your data only in Microsoft Access, you should import it. Microsoft Access generally works faster with its own tables, and, if you need to, you can modify the imported table to meet your needs just like any other table that is created in Microsoft Access.

Reasons to link data from an external table
    If the data that you want to use in your Access database is also being updated by a program other than Microsoft Access, you should link it. Using this approach, the current methods of updating, managing, and sharing the data can remain in place, and you can use Microsoft Access to work with the data as well. For example, you can create queries, forms, and reports that use the external data, combine external data with the data in Microsoft Access tables, and even view and edit the external data while others are using it in the original program.

This section also goes on to talk about the 'benefits' of the Access database splitter - which I have never been able to get to work[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hope this helps!

Kiwi44

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It isn't necessarily better to link the table, but if you want to split a field, you either have to import the table and then modify it after the fact or link to it and append to a new table using the append query to parse the name out into two fields.

If you link the table, you also have the ability to design a new table with the field names and data types you want before your add data to it instead of simply being stuck with the dbase names and characteristics and trying to modify them after the fact. Plus, you can create indexes to reduce the possibility of duplicate records being brought in.

I use both techniques, and the choice of which depends on the circumstances. In your case, since you were hoping for specific instructions on how to parse the name out, I thought it might be easier to do it with an append query. It's entirely up to you. If you aren't completely comfortable building tables from scratch or if it is a table with a very large number of fields, then by all means import the table, modify the structure, and parse the name out using an update query.
    Charlotte