New Lounger
    Thanks

Letter rather than paragraph formatting

hello all
    anyone know if you can set up "letter styles" rather than "paragraph styles" in publisher?
    I need to regularly do something like....

<font color=6495ed>All:. . . . .</font color=6495ed> <font face="Comic Sans MS">praise be the lord!</font face=comic>
    This is a pain as I have to select each word I want to be blue and italic seperately and thus can't make a final adjustment with styles..-

(the wife's helping out the local vicar)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Letter rather than paragraph formatting

Dear Peter;
    I will attempt to answer this question,providing we are both on the same page. If I understand correctly you would like to assign a text style to "Who is speaking:" and "What they are supposed to say".
    This can be done two ways.
    1) Highlight a portion of the text that has the text style you want to change. Make the changes you want. Format text
    On the Formatting toolbar, click the Style box. (This is the dropdown box that has "Normal" written in it) Press ENTER. You'll get the Change Or Apply Style dialog box, click Change the style using the selection as an example. Click OK. IN the style box, highlight the word "Normal" and give your format a name, then, change font, colour, pt. size...and type away.
    You will just have to change the dropdown box to the chosen formatting prior to typing each item.
    2)The other way would be to already have typed your words in the style selected. In the formatting toolbar, click the style box and overtype the word "Normal" with your formatting name and when the "Create Style by Example" pops up, check to make sure all is in order (correct font, colour...)and click OK.
    Hope this gives you the results you're looking for.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Patti (or Pischi?)
    Must admit I didn't know about "create style by example" That's useful.
    Afraid your super breakdown of styles doesn't help me!
    The problem is getting 2 preformatted styles on one paragraph - basically I don't think you can. If you drop the "All" or "Reply" to a seperate line then thats OK, but if you "relink" by deleting the paragraph seperator then the second line (now part of the first) takes on the formatting of the first. Far as I can see you have to do things manually - a real chore!
    Any other ideas?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well,
    I tried some formatting combinations. Found that if I want to use the styles that I formatted and named in the tool bar to be <font color=6495ed>blue</font color=6495ed> and inserted them in to a previously formatted paragraph on the same line (paragraph) that the line formatting did indeed change within that line. At this point I see no way around the dilemma. I tried the technique in Word and found the styles to behave in the same way. I'll keep experimenting.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all your efforts.....
    I'm pretty used to DTP packages and have used Pagemaker and Quark, and now Indesign - InDesign is the only one to give seperate word styles - I suppose it was wishful thinking for Publisher. I was trying to use the easy to understand interface of Publisher so that I could hand the work back to the missus!

Very best[img]/w3timages/icons/devil.gif[/img]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

One easy way you could get benefit of character styles, is to use Word as your story editor for stories where you want character styles, and to define the character styles in Word, instead of in Publisher.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Peter could the attached be of any help???? Perhaps if the 2 types of text were in adjacent text frames rather then the same one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounger
    Thanks

Publisher 2002 now supports multiple styles for fonts in a paragrah.