2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word file bloats when pasting Excel chart (Word/Excel 2000)

Can anyone explain this behaviour (and am I doing something wrong)? When I copy and paste charts from Excel to Word then my Word file gets extremely large. I tried an experiment: New empty Word file, copied three different charts from Ecel file (Ctrl+C) and pasted them in to Word (Ctrl+V) - end result, a Word file of 1.4 megabytes. Created another new Word file, copied the same charts from the spreadsheet, but pasted using Edit-PasteSpecial-Enhance Metafile - end result was about a 50kbyte file. Seems like when I do a simple copy/paste operation that Word somehow sucks in the entire spreadsheet.
    Apologies if this topic has been covered before, I did a search of the forum but couldn't see anything relevant.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word file bloats when pasting Excel chart (Word/Excel 2000)

It's sucking in more than you probably want or need and will be temperamental besides. You save a little room and get better behavior if you do a Paste Special | Picture. HTH --Sam
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that. I ended up putting together a little macro that does the paste special and sticks it in-line rather than floating over text - boy what a mission that was. For those of us not familiar with VBA the learning curve is somewhat steep, mystical incantations about shapes and inlineshapes. And why, oh why, when you say "placement:=wdInLine" in the PasteSpecial does Word simply ignore it and float it over the text!?!?! No doubt that is a "feature" not a fault... (slinks off, licks wounds...)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

VBA does seem like a steep climb (I'm still at the bottom) but some months ago now I used the macro recorder (painlessly) to create what sounds like an identical macro to do a Paste|Special as Picture with the float over option unchecked. Have you taken the next step and made it easy to get at by assigning it to a custom button on a toolbar?

Right click a toolbar, choose Customise then from the Commands tab select Macros and drag the macro on to the bar. You can then right click the button that is created and customise it to something more elegant than the default.

(not)stuck(just now)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I suspect that I made things hard for myself by choosing "enhanced metafile" rather than "picture" as the target format in the paste special. For those of us who have been using the Word/Excel combo for many (frustrating) moons, choosing enhanced metafile became second-nature as the least evil way to plonk graphics into Word and be able to scale them without horrendous things happening to the fonts. Using the Macro recorder gave me the following code:
    Selection.PasteSpecial Link:=False, DataType:=wdPasteEnhancedMetafile, Placement:=wdInLine, DisplayAsIcon:=False
    Which I would have thought would work wonderfully well, except that Word totally ignores the "Placement" modifier and splats the graphic at the top of the page instead of at the insertion point - grrrrrr!!!
    However, I see that Paste Special-Picture seems to automatically scale the graphic to fit within the page margins and, I'm guessing, the inline placement will work just fine.
    As for the "next step" of placing a button on the toolbar, here's where I *really* show my age. - my strong preference is to use the keyboard as I still find it much quicker than mousing around. Accordingly, my macro is assigned to the Ctrl-Alt-V keystroke (displacing some MS default that I would be most unlikely to use and, therefore, will never miss!!).
    Thanks for the feedback.