New Lounger
    Thanks

Seagate/Backup Exec

I tried the software (Backup Exec) install and it locked up xp. I went to several sites to find updates, but had no luck. I'm trying to find a compatible software to use with mt Seagate STT8000N tape backup. I knoe xp software is compatible but I can't figue out how to format the old tape in xp. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Seagate/Backup Exec

go to www.stompinc.com and download BackupMyPC. You can buy it as an upgrade to Backup Exec. During installation when it asks for the previous version, just insert your CD and point to it. It works just like BackupEXec without a problem. The software is written by Veritas and sold by Stomp.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you so much. I really liked the Backup Exec program and couldn't find a suitable replacement anywhere.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you installed the Pro version of XP, the Backup Utility that comes with XP, should have been installed. If you have the Home edition, a modified version of XP's Backup Utility is buried in the XP CD.

When you invoke the Backup Utility, click on | Help | Help Topics | Index and type in the word "format" (without the quotes) and the display area will described how to format your tape.

Cheers,

Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Further to my last note... if you are running XP - Home, here's the path on the XP CD where you can find the Backup Utility: D:VALUEADDMSFTNTBACKUP (swap the drive letter as appropriate for your system).

The utility was created by Veritas, the same folks who wrote Backup Exec.

The problem with the XP Home version of Backup, is that there is no disaster recovery module. Likewise for Backup MyPC.

You might want to take a look at PowerQuest's Drive Image 5...

http://www.powerquest.com/driveimage/

Cheers,

Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

New Lounger
    Thanks

I downloaded and installed MyPC. I'm having a problem with the program running a scheduled task though. I was wondering if you knew of any reason as to why when scheduled the program fails to initialize at the scheduled time. I can run it immediately and it works fine to the tape, however if I schedule it to run , say in two minutes, it fails to start. Could there be a conflict with another program? (i.e. xp's built in backup) Possibly a setting to change in xp backup. Nothing else is in the control panel scheduled tasks.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I uninstalled XP backup when it didn't work. I believe that in XP in order for the scheduled tasks to work you need to have "administrative permission" which means you need to sign in with a password. When you schedule the task you need to use the same password. The same thing happened to me when I was trying to use another back up program. I found this imformation on MS Website. Hope this helps.