Lounger
    Thanks

SEQ numbering irregularity (Word 2000 SR1)

I would like to bring a Word bug to the attention of the list, offer a work around, and ask if anybody has better ideas.
    When you reference a book-marked Table or Figure caption in a different document using the INCLUDETEXT field, Word advances the Table or Figure number in the referencing document. This causes your table or figure numbering to jump for no apparent reason.
    A way to fix it is to manually batch-wise change the name of the SEQ list from Table to Table1 (for example) in the entire document after you have finished it. Then just update fields.
    By the way you must use the ! switch whenever you use INCLUDETEXT to reference text containing a field.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: SEQ numbering irregularity (Word 2000 SR1)

I wouldnt necessarily call it a bug. The problem arises because you only want it as a cross reference but have inserted it as an includetext. The referencing document now has additional pieces of text in it which happend to include a sequence field also used in this document and later sequences are going to work that out and adjust accordingly. This is what I would want to happen

There are four work arounds for you that I can see.
    1. Both documents use different sequence fields. Doc 1 has figure fields like {Seq Figure} and Doc 2 has figure fields like {Seq Figure2}. This would leave your later figures unsullied as they are different fields
    2. Use includetext pointing at a bookmarked CrossReference instead of the actual field itself. Your source document should have cross references to all tables and figures already but if it doesn't then you can use the /h switch to place one that doesn't show.
    3. Use a switch in the next affected Figure to repeat the previous used number (/c) or set it to a specific number (/r). Note. this method will not look good in your Table of Figures.
    4. Include the actual graphic/table in the bookmark as well so instead of telling the reader to find the other document on the bookshelf to see the figure - here it is.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia