Lounger
    Thanks

Templates (Word 2000)

I am on a company-wide network. We use many templates (letter, memo, fax, etc.) which are located in our "Templates" folder on our network. Many users open up the letter template and then proceed to write to it and eventually saves it. A new user will bring up the same letter template and see someone else's text in it. Therefore, a new (blank) copy of the letter template now has to be copied over the saved version. How can this be prevented? This happens way too often. Please help. Thanks.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Templates (Word 2000)

Hi lil.

If you have your templates in a network location, that share (the Templates folder) should absolutely be "read only" to everyone in your office, with the possible exception of some administrators.

However, it sounds like there is another problem--users shouldn't be "opening" templates by using File| Open in Word; they should be creating new documents *based* on those templates by using File| New. That would immediately eliminate the problem you mention, although I still think it's important that the templates be read-only (otherwise, "save to template" changes would affect other users).

Hope that helps...

klyjen

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your prompt reply. I did a little experiementing with a "just created" template. I made it a read-only file. If users were to open it in the template directory. They would see that it is read-only . They would then type their text and try to save it. In doing so, it would then be saved as a "dot" document. I don't want this happen. I guess your 2nd suggestion is the only way to go. I will have to instruct users on how to use "File", "New". Thanks again.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, having users go to File|New is DEFINITELY the way to go. Making the Templates share read-only is necessary, too, but documents made by actually opening a template (rather than creating a new doc based on the template) can run into problems later on.

You will need to be sure that your users' Workgroup Templates location in Word (Tools|Options|File Locations) is pointed to the Templates share. Leave their User Templates location alone, though--that's where the normal.dot file should live. You don't want the normal.dot to be a shared template.

klyjen

KTYorke

I think what klyjen was saying in her first suggestion was to make the shared folder with the templates in it read only. This way the users will only be able to read those templates and not be able to save anything back to that folder. You would have to see your Network admin for that I would guess.

No matter what, the File>New option should be instilled in all of your users.

hope that helps
    have fun

Thanks

Just to reiterate what others have said, the only reason to "open" a template is to change the template or create a new template based on the old one. You never open a template to create a document.

If you have enough resisting people you might even go so far as to insert an AutoOpen macro that first checks to see if a certain global is loaded and if that global template (that is on your computer) is not loaded (as it won't be for most of your users) put up a (modal) dialog box that suggests using File => New and then close the template.

You may also want to take a look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/templatesmenu.htm> A menu of favorite templates in Word</A> (addbalance.com/word/templatesmenu.htm).
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks

Try this in your template:
    <pre>Sub AutoOpen()
    Dim aDoc As Document, aTemp As Template
    Set aDoc = ActiveDocument
    Set aTemp = aDoc.AttachedTemplate
    If (aTemp.Path & Application.PathSeparator & aTemp.Name) = _
    aDoc.FullName Then
    'This "document" is a template
    If MsgBox("Create a new document based on this template?", _
    vbQuestion + vbYesNo) = vbYes Then
    'Create a new document
    Documents.Add Template:=aDoc.FullName, NewTemplate:=False
    Else
    'Just close yourself
    End If
    aDoc.Close SaveChanges:=wdDoNotSaveChanges
    Else
    'Things you want to happen if this is a doc based on the template
    End If
    Set aTemp = Nothing
    Set aDoc = Nothing
    End Sub</pre>

Lounger
    Thanks

How do I add your macro to an existing template? I need specific instructions. Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Lil:
    1. Copy Jeffersons macro.
    2. Start Word, go to File/Open & switch to your template folder & open the template. Make sure it isn't read-only (if it is, change it before opening).
    3. Press Alt+F8 to open the macro dialog box.
    4. Press Alt+A & arrow down 3 times. This will change the "macros in" box to reflect the template.
    5. Give the macro the name AutoOpen & press Create.
    6. Select everything in the right hand pane & paste what you copied in Step 1.
    7. Save the template.

The macro will now be in the New Macros module of the template.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Hi,

See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/macrosfromnewsgroup.htm> How to take a text listing of a macro posted in a newsgroup and use it in your templates and documents</A> (addbalance.com/word/macrosfromnewsgroup.htm)
    for information on how to insert macros posted on the
    newsgroup into your templates.

Hope this helps.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Lounger
    Thanks

I did as you suggested and saved the template. I then double clicked on the template and the following message came up "The macros in this project are disabled. Please refer to the online help or documentation of the host application to determine how to enable macros. OK, HELP". After pressing OK, the template shows up and there are also 2 boxes on the screen. One box says "Control" and other box is "Exit Design Mode".

I got rid of both boxes and proceeded to type some text on the screen. I then saved the document. I opened the template again and what appeared was the template plus the new text in it.

This is not what I wanted. I was hoping to not be able to save over the original template, but to save it as a new "doc" file. What am I doing wrong?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

As an alternative, I might suggest that you have users add a shortcut to the template on their desktop. This way, the user can click on on shortcut and this will automatically open a new doc file based on the template, without messing up the template. Yes, do make the template read-only, just in case someone tries to open the template instead of using the shortcut. The only problem I see here is if the user cannot access the network to set up the shortcut. But I am sure a workaround could be found.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Lil:

It sounds to me like you opened the template & typed text in it. Open the template & delete it. You should be able to tell whether the template or a document based on the template is being opened by looking at the name in the Title bar at the top.

Is your template in the template folder? Check the macro security settings (Tools/Macro/ & check the security settings). Medium will prompt you, rather than disabling macros.

I don't know what caused the two boxes to appear in your template, since all you did was paste a macro in it. What happens when you select File/New? Don't you get a new document based on that template?

Thanks

You may need to "reregister" Word with Explorer. When you double-click on a template what should happen is the creation of a new document, not the template opening.

1) Are you sure that this is a template? The way to make sure is to open it, make a couple of changes and then go under the File menu to Save As. When you get the save dialog box, Word should be saving as a template. If it is saving as a document, then what you have is not a template even though it may look like one. If Word is attempting to save it as a Word document then check in Windows under Window View Options to see if something is checked about hiding filename extensions for known file types. If it is, uncheck it. You may find your "template" really named MyTemplate.dot.doc.

2) When you double click on a template, the title bar should say Document2, Document3, etc. not MyTemplate.dot.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks

Lil, I only get that error if my security is set to the strictest setting (see below). If you trust your installed templates or use Medium security, you will not get the error message for a template in your templates folder. I don't know if these settings are practical for your environment, but at least you have the explanation.

As for what happens when you double-click a template file in Windows Explorer, if you right-click, usually "New" (as in, create a new document based on this template) is the default options, displayed in bold. "Open" will open the template itself for editing. You can change the default using the File Types dialog (in Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options..., File Types tab). As a quick work-around, use the right-click method.

If you do open a template, it can only be saved as a template. You can trick Word into naming it with an extension other than .dot, but it still will be a template.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images