New Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to connect to mail server (Outlook 2000 SR-1)

Periodically, I get an error"Unable to connect to mail server". When this occurs, all of my accounts give this error, including my ISP and POP accounts at Amex and Yahoo. The only way I have discovered to get around this is close Outlook 2000 and go to Task Manager and close out the OUTLOOK.EXE process. Then I restart Outlook and am able send and receive email again. My friend has suggested that Outlook is maintaining an open connection to the email port that ends up blocking any other communication to the port. I use DirecPC one way satellite internet. I am running Windows 2000. This happens on two computers, one running Zone Alarm and one not. I run a wireless network with Windows ICS(Internet Connection Sharing). Outlook runs on the two client computers, not on the host.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unable to connect to mail server (Outlook 2000 SR-1)

I'm seeing the same condition on one of our machines - Outlook 2000 (CW mode) stops connecting to the POP mail server until OL is restarted. Confirmed that the mail server is available while this is happening. Running Win98, OL2K SR1 with a DSL connection for LInkSys home network. Did anyone ever come up with a cause and/or solution for this?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unable to connect to mail server (Outlook 2000 SR-1)

This won't help, but my problem went away when I changed from Two Way DirecPC satellite internet to DSL. I suspect it had more to do with the way DirecPC handles email. I went around and around with my ISP(internet data upload) and DirectPC(download). Each told me different ways to set up my email clients. I was pleased with direcPC for everything except email.