Lounger
    Thanks

Email cloaking (All)

I have tried cloaking my email address on my site using Javascript, but the script is ignored by earlier versions of Netscape. Another, rather elegant solution popped up today - translate the <@> sign into ascii characters - thus: <& # 64 ;> on the assumption that email harvesting robots do not read ascii. I have put spaces in the ascii in order that the browser doesn't translate it back to <@> for our purposes here - normally, there would be no spaces.

Can anyone confirm that this is factual?

Thanks

Re: Email cloaking (All)

A Google search for "robot email adress ascii" threw up this delightful site <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.firstlinesoft.com/features.htm>here</A> where they claim their software can:
    <hr>Extract email addresses and URL's from files on local or network drives. - GEEWiz32 can extract from binary and ascii (text) type files including MBX files, internet browser cache files, etc!

Ability to extract email addresses from web pages based on email address text pattern matching. - Many email addresses on web pages exist as non-hyperlink text. GEEWiz32 can extract all email addresses, hyperlink and non-hyperlink. (Hyperlink meaning the "MAILTO:" type links). GEEWiz32 can also be set up to retrieve only hyperlink email addresses.
    Note: Because pattern matching picks up anything that looks like an email address (xxxx@yyyy.zzz), it is possible that the program will pick up addresses, such as the one above, that are invalid.<hr>