Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Display problem with dual boot

System: Pentium 200, 80MB RAM, Diamond Viper330. Because I tutor both W98 & W2k MSOffice products I have a dual boot system. While Tutoring in Word97 a student did something to freeze W98. (Not unusual eh!)[img]/w3timages/icons/spook.gif[/img] When I eventually got the system back together again, I discovered that my display in W2k would only allow 16 colours. I've done all I can think of, ie. uninstalled and reinstalled video card and been through the troubleshooter to no avail. The display in W98 is perfect. Can anyone help please.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Display problem with dual boot

From the US style date on your question, I'm not sure if this attempt at an answer will be current, or a couple of years old.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    * When re-installing your video card drivers under Win2k, are you sure you're using the ones meant for that OS and not the same ones as for Win98SE?
    * If so, have you tried a re-install of Win2k, into the same directory as at present (as a first step)?
    * If that didn't work, a full re-install of the OS might be needed.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

And the display driver worked in Windows 2K before? Hopefully you installed the two OS's on separate partitions.

You could try to load the 'last known good' from the Windows 2000 startup menu (press F8). Make sure that in display properties the adapter does not have an unsupported mode selected.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, Display had worked perfectly on W2k for 4 months before W98 crashed. W2k was installed on a new HD, leaving W98 on C: the boot drive. Will try last known good. I feel the problem must be in the driver. I need to learn how to install the correct driver for my Diamond Viper 330 card.
    Thanks for your help,
    Kiwi

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

when you boot into win2k try F8 and choose vga mode. i occassionally have the same problem and going into vga once helps.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks MJ but that didn't work for me [img]/w3timages/icons/sad.gif[/img]
    Kiwi

Lounger
    Thanks

Mark have tried "last known good", didn't fix the problem.
    Thanks anyway,
    Kiwi

New Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have the current driver for 2k? If not, try your computer manufact.s web page. If they dont' have one, try the web site for the card. I had the same trouble when I installed mine on a dual with 98 on c: and 2k on d:. I don't remember how i finally got it to work, but messing with all that stuff finally did. Was a real pain to get it to work. Keep looking in the Properties and driver. You do know how to update the driver I assume? If not, drop a note back and i'll help you out. I know how you feel. Have a 21" monitor (for graphic work) and had 16 colors at some huge screen size. Much nicer now

Cowboy

Thanks

Under Advanced/Monitor, it is showing the correct one, and that it is working properly?

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Cowboy, I'm sure it's a driver problem. In device manager - display adapter, it says 'not started', can't ask computer manufacturer cos that's me, diamondmm website isn't much help, tried 2 drivers from driver.com, wouldn't work either. Have tried to find the driver on the W2k CD, failed. My monitor, 17in Dell M770, isn't showing in the Display dialog box it shows 'default monitor (on VGA), and there's no way of changing it, evrything greyed out. Is it posible to extract the W2k driver off the CD?

Kiwi

Lounger
    Thanks

No Leif, it's showing 'Default monitor' and as I explained to 'cowboy' below I can't change it. Device Manager, Display adapter, says "This device cannot start (code 10)" and says to click troubleshooter, I have been through that a couple of times. Driver details in Device Manager show nv3.sys and nv3.dll, (card NVIDIA Riva 128) So now I am changing my tune a little and wondering why I got the code 10 message. Another thing that puzzles me is that the Monitor doesn't show in Device Manager? I've tried to "Install a new device" in 'Add New Hardware' but adding a monitor isn't an option. Is any of this rambling making any sense to you or anyone else?

Kiwi

Thanks

If you start up in VGA mode, will it let you change anything that you can't in normal mode?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I posted your prob to another forum and this is what they came up with...

She should get the latest drivers for both the monitor and video card,
    del the monitor in Device manager.
    Reboot/ install all drivers.
    Think that should fix her up.

then in reply to that....

not nessesarily true.
    I got a soundcard from Dimondmm, and more or less the same problem.
    Diamond are not to great when it comes to drivers.
    What chip-set does the card have?
    Has your friend tried the chip-manufactures generic driver? As soon as the gfx-card is recognized the monitor will be, too.

I'll keep my eyes open for more info. Let me know if you get it fixed in the mean time.

Cowboy

PS- Just got more info. while writting this. If you haven't already, try this. Get the driver for the Riva at Nvidia.com They make good drivers for their chips...also for win2k.
    As soon as the GFX-card is installed correctly you should be able to set up the monitor.

Thanks

...and talking of other forums....
    have a look at this thread on the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.win2000mag.net/Forums/Application/Thread.cfm?CFApp=29&Thread_ID=57650&mc=2>Win2000ma g</A> - no promises but it just might lead somewhere if the previous solution doesn't.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Leif, I tried that, (starting in VGA Mode) still the same, everything greyed out.

Kiwi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast