New Lounger
    Thanks

displaying data different from stored form (Access97 w/all updates)

Have a combo box (one of several) in an Employee database with drop down list with about 6 choices for "employer". In Table Design view, field properties are set to: Field Size = byte, require = no. The field name is EMPL, Data Type is number. So, data is stored as a single-digit number. In Form Design view, properties, data tab, the Row source = 1;ASF;2;KGB;3; and so on except the abbreviations are spelled out. Default is set to 1. No employer name begins with same letter.
    When you start to type the plain-language name of employer, it autofills at first letter, you can tab to next control, and data is stored as number.
    Is there any way to have the display in all views (database, queries, forms, reports) display as the plain text rather than the underlying numbers? I'd want the plain-text to print rather than the numbers, too.
    If it make a difference, this database started in Access 2.0 on a WIN 3.1 machine where size of database was critical, so field size was limited to most efficient & fastest. Now on a WIN 98SE machine, size no longer object.
    If only solution is to convert combo box from "byte" back to text, let me know, but wouldn't it still store smaller and work faster to leave the various combo boxes as "byte" instead of "Text"? If I convert to text, do I lose the data, or does it just show as numbers which I can then do a find&replace on? I'm up to about 50 fields, and over 1000 employees. Have several related tables now, adding more, and thinking about splitting this one.
    Many thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: displaying data different from stored form (Access97 w/all updates)

In the design view of the form, select the combo.
    In the properties of the combo look for Column Widths.
    Set the first number to 0 and leave the second as it.
    Now you will only see the second column and be allowed to type A or K or ...
    All the rest remains like it was.
    Francois

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: displaying data different from stored form (Access97 w/all updates)

You wrote:
    >>Is there any way to have the display in all views (database, queries, forms, reports) display as the plain text rather than the underlying numbers? I'd want the plain-text to print rather than the numbers, too.<<

The best way is to create a lookup table to store Employer names. You can establish a one-to-many relationship between this table and the employee table. You can add this new table to any queries (including queries behind forms), and therefore select the EmployerName as a field in the query.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.