Thread: AutoText (2000)

New Lounger
    Thanks

AutoText (2000)

Hi does anybody know where the AutoText in Word 2000 is saved. My computer is playing up and I need to format the hard drive and start from scratch. In the past when I have done this I have had to manually put all the information back into AutoText. I have found where most of the other information is stored, such as Templates, Outlook express folders and address book etc. but not AutoText. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
    Regard, Mike Whitear.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: AutoText (2000)

Autotext is stored in your normal.dot.

Hope that helps.

SJ Miller

Thanks

To amplify the previous answer. AutoText is stored in templates. The default template for storing it is normal.dot. AutoCorrect, on the other hand is stored (mostly) in .acl files. Are we talking AutoText or AutoCorrect here?

For more information about both AutoText and AutoCorrect, follow the links at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#AutoText> Word Web Resources - AutoText & AutoCorrect</A> (addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm)
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Charles, it is AutoText that I wish to copy and replace after I have formatted my hard disc. I will make a copy of the Normal.dot template onto a floppy.
    Many thanks to you & SJ Miller.
    Regards Mike Whitear.

Thanks

Hi Mike,

Just make sure that Word is closed when you make your copy. You may also want to take a look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm> Sharing Customizations</A> for instructions and information on sharing / copying / moving customizations including macros, AutoText, Toolbars and menus, and key assignments.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin