3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Crashing on button click (W2K sp2, A97 sp1)

Access keeps bombing out on me. I have a virgin install of W2K with nothing more than Access 97 sp1 and Nero Burning Rom installed on it.

Whilst doing some design work on a form, I clicked on a toolbar button I have created on the Form Design toolbar that does nothing more than restore the window size from maximised view. At this point, Access died bringing up the 'error log being created' message. It happens every time, but only if the form is in maximised view.

Mind you, this 'crashing out' problem was also happening earlier during other design work without going anywhere near the button. Also, some of my 'saves' weren't being saved between edit sessions.

To try to stop this, I tried a number of things including using the 'repair' menu item, creating a new blank db and importing all objects from the problematic one into it and taking my 1.4G Athlon CPU back to it's normal speed. No vast overclock, just a slight increase from 1.4 to ~1.533GHz. I did notice a slight improvement afterwards but finished for the night shortly after.

Can anyone help me with this? I must confess, I haven't started trawling through MSKB for any clues.

Thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Crashing on button click (W2K sp2, A97 sp1)

I don't know why you are having this problem, however, I'd strongly advise you to install the SR-2 upgrade for Access97. You can get this from the Microsoft Office Upgrades site.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I see this quite a bit on W2k as well. Usually a compact of the database cures it for me, but I suspect it's more an OS than an Access issue. Mark's suggestion is always a good idea and might at least reduce the frequency of the Dr Watsons.

I don't understand the need for overclocking a fast CPU at all, so I won't speak to it. I've seen posts in various places, though, that suggest mixing overclocking and Access is not a good idea.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

Charlotte: I know what you mean. To be honest, I o/c'd just to see what all the fuss was about and just forgot to put it back. I mean, just how fast do you want this thing to go??!!?? To be honest the sort of things I use my machine for could easily be handled by a humble K6-2, but it was on a plate at a good price. It would be an option if I could upgrade the d/b to 2K, but I'm helping someone who's company haven't made the great leap into the 21st century yet.

(From the mouth of a corporate 95b user...)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I'll add my to cents (I suppose that should be pence). We've seen some stability problems with Access 97 on Win2K workstations, while others seem to work fine. I should add that was prior to SP2 for Win2K. Never the less we finally did the Office 2K upgrade, and the stability problems went away. We then proceeded to finish the NT to Win2K upgrade, and things seem pretty solid. On the over-clock issue, I would avoid it as well. I have a comparable AMD, and it's given me fits. To some degree my issue is with the mother board, but I had to jump though lots of hoops to get it to stay cool, and it will still occasionally hang for no obvious reason. On the other hand the P4-1.5G I'm using at the moment has been the epitome of stability. Go figure!
    Wendell