New Lounger
    Thanks

open word 2000 files in XL (XL Home)

I run word XL on windows XL but when i try to open an old word file in word 2000 the whole system crashes. Has anyone met this and do you have a solution.

Thanks

Re: open word 2000 files in XL (XL Home)

Can you clarify this a bit? Word 2002 (in Office XP) really should have no problem opening a Word 2000 file. Were these files originally created in Word 2000, or were they from a much earlier version of Word and were last saved by Word 2000?

Or are you using Word 2000 and cannot open an old file in Word 2000??

In either program, it is helpful to have "Confirm Conversion at Open" turned on (checked) under Tools, Options, General. Then, if the format is not a valid Word format, or is a very crusty old one, you should get a dialog telling you that Word thinks the document needs to be converted when opening. Seen anything like that for the problem document(s)?

If there is some kind of conversion problem, it is possible that the install of Office XP did not include all of the converters, or that they somehow got corrupted. If you start up the Office installer, there is a custom install screen that lets you specify which text converters you want on your system. The choices are to install it to the hard drive, run it from the CD, or, I think, do not advertise it at all, meaning Word will be unaware of its existence.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry for the delayed reply. The problem is opening word2000 files in word 2002. I get no message the machine just freezes. The word 2000 files are created in word 2000 and I try to open them in word2002(Office XP) running under Windows XP

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe the problem is in the files itself. Can you open them on a computer running Word 2000 ?

Another question: from which kind of media are you trying to open the files? Is it network drive, floppy, CD or your hard drive?

Thanks

Possibly Word is looking for a template on a far-away drive (either a mapped drive, such as f:FirmTemplates or a UNC path such as WorkServerTemplates). At some point, Word/Windows should give up, but maybe it isn't? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other situation that would generate no error message. If you right-click one of the trouble documents in Windows Explorer and look at the Word properties, does it list such a template?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions. For various reasons I had to replace the mother board and everything works fine now!